Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

THREAD CLOSED

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Alexandrian ring neck will not eat anything

Postby liz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:26 am

Since he is screaming because he is hungry, I would let him out to travel with me while fixing his breakfast. That way you are comforting him and he knows you are working on it. You could give him part of a soft nut to quiet his hunger while you work.

My Amazons are 32 and 7. They wake up and want breakfast. I give them each 1 pistachio unsalted and in the shell. They look forward to it and wait patiently for their breakfast.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

THREAD CLOSED

Postby Romanxdsouza » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:32 pm

Last edited by Romanxdsouza on Tue May 09, 2017 9:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Romanxdsouza
Lovebird

Flight: No

THREAD CLOSED

Postby Romanxdsouza » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:25 pm

Last edited by Romanxdsouza on Tue May 09, 2017 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Romanxdsouza
Lovebird

Re: Alexandrian ring neck will not eat anything

Postby liz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:22 am

Feed him baby bird food first thing in the morning. You can also used first stage baby food that is pureed. Fill him up first thing. Give him a ride along while getting ready in the morning. It won't actually give him one on one because you are busy but he will just soak up the comfort of being on you.
Leave soft healthy food for him such as applesauce, bananas and other soft but colorful fruit and veggies. Different colors have different vitamins. Keep him full and comforted.

Teach him the words "bye bye" so he knows you will be gone for a while but will be back. Parrots who do not understand this are very stressed waiting for their human to come back in the room.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

THREAD CLOSED

Postby Romanxdsouza » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Last edited by Romanxdsouza on Tue May 09, 2017 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Romanxdsouza
Lovebird

Re: STOP ALEXANDRIAN SCREAMING EARLY MORNINGS

Postby liz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:31 am

You are rewarding his screaming and punishing him by putting him back in the cage when he gets quiet. Get him out of his cage and on your shoulder before he screams. Keep him with you while you do your morning chores. Fill him up with baby food before you put him back. He should be tired with a full belly and calm down.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

THREAD CLOSED

Postby Romanxdsouza » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:40 am

Last edited by Romanxdsouza on Tue May 09, 2017 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Romanxdsouza
Lovebird

THREAD CLOSED

Postby Romanxdsouza » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:01 am

Last edited by Romanxdsouza on Tue May 09, 2017 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Romanxdsouza
Lovebird

Re: STOP ALEXANDRIAN SCREAMING EARLY MORNINGS

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:28 pm

My dear, please understand that I am not blaming or criticizing you, I am simply stating a fact based on what you have told us. You are obviously not competent enough to care for this little bird. I know you have the best of intentions and I know that you are trying very hard but, obviously, you are not been successful and the baby cannot go without enough food for long. Handraising a baby bird is not something that you can learn as you go along, you need to know what you are doing and if you were doing it right, he wouldn't be screaming and screaming. Taking him out for a walk doesn't do it and doing 'ladders' is not even recommended for adult birds (it's a flooding technique) much less a baby. If he doesn't eat enough or the right food, it will weaken and die. He is screaming because he is hungry, lonely and scared. This is not a little bird that was born in captivity and is used to people, he is a baby bird that was taken from his parents and he misses them, his siblings and the food that he is used to getting. PLEASE, I BEG YOU to contact these people http://bwcindia.org/. They will help you. It's illegal in India to trap, keep, sell or buy indigenous birds (the vet should have told you that!) - it's even illegal to cage them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

THREAD CLOSED

Postby Romanxdsouza » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Last edited by Romanxdsouza on Tue May 09, 2017 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Romanxdsouza
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training