Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is harness training worth it?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Is harness training worth it?

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:44 pm

Hello, bird people. :D I bought a Fred Bird harness for Ducky a while back because I wanted to be able to take him places. He was afraid of it when I put it in front of him so I just kind of left it lying around and not training him to wear it. I'm just thinking whether I should put the effort into training him to use it, or if it takes too long just forget it and teach him a new trick instead. He isn't comfortable with me touching his wings, and I know you need to lift the wings in order to put the harness on, but will it take a long time to tame him to get comfortable with that? Thanks.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Is harness training worth it?

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:22 am

Teach other tricks, game him, build a great relationship first. Take him outside for sunlight in a wire cage/carrier. Then when there is a strong training background of other things, the harness Training will come easily.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: Is harness training worth it?

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:47 am

He already knows about 10 other tricks, and is already bonded to me and loves head scratches, but isn't a fan of being grabbed. He also hates being in a cage with me around because he wants to be with me all the time :D
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training