Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help i need a Trainer!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Help i need a Trainer!!

Postby lolabos14 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:43 am

Hi there,

I have watched almost every video there is to tame a bird, but nothing has worked.
I have a cockatiel named Mimi who is aggressive and scared of me. I've had her for about half a year or more. when I got her on the 2nd to 3rd day I got her out of the cage and she was happy getting on my hand. Then all of a sudden she started biting and being afraid and I don't know why. I need a professional bird trainer who lives in Dubai and doesn't cost too much money. Please if you know someone who is or you are a professional bird trainer get in contact with me ASAP!!
lolabos14
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Help i need a Trainer!!

Postby liz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:52 am

Set her highest perch at your face level. Get close with your face and talk to her through the bars.
Open the door and let her come out without helping her. She is afraid of hands.
Limit your time in her cage to just changing food and water. Do not look at her while you do this.
Spend a lot of time in the same room without putting your attention on her.
Don't push her. Let her come to you when she is ready.

When you first got her she was to scared to respond. If you have been spending enough time with her she would accept you as the leader of her flock.

You do not say how old she is. This is a bad time of year for birds. They are hormonal and not responsible for their actions. If that is the trouble then she will eventualy come out of it.

Feed fruit and vegetables in the morning with gloop which could be softened grain and veggies cut up small enough to mix in the grain and she will pick at it all day. In the evening you can give her Cockatiel seed. Pajarita has given this info many times. It is in the nutrition section.

You also need to get her on a light schedule. That is harder to explain but that info is also in this forum.

Others will follow me to respond in more detail.

Welcome to the forum.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training