Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Parrot Steps up but on take treats

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

New Parrot Steps up but on take treats

Postby Ramesses429 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:27 am

I got a new bird he will step up for me he is still not super comfortable with being on my hand tho. I have tried to give him treats for doing good and stepping up but when I do he ignores it and stairs at the treat or he tries to step up on top of my hand on the treat. I have tried a good amount of different treats and I have watched him eat and removed things from his food he likes to try to use as a treat but he just wont take anything. He just steps on my and then right back off treat or not. I would like to reward him for doing good stepping up so one day I can possibly get him to allow me to pet him.
Ramesses429
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyers
Flight: No

Re: New Parrot Steps up but on take treats

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Welcome to the forum! A few questions which answers will allow us to give you specific pointers: is he a baby or an adult that you adopted? If a baby, how old? In either case, how long have you had him? What is his staple (the one you put out every morning and leave there for him to eat during the day] food?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training