Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Wild Parrot

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Wild Parrot

Postby Sheils » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:31 am

Hi Pajarita,I'm from South Africa and yes it does make sense what you are saying, I tried feeding them separately but they still end up eating together. i'm not sure if they think the one plate has more nice food in then the other but they both get the same food what ever I give them. where protein is concern i give them grain with lentils and beans every day there must be corn in otherwise they will not eat it so corn is on the menu with every meal they love it, with that in every meal I change the veg and fruit so with every meal they get different veg and fruit with lots of green. can I keep on feeding them this? I also leave a bowl of pellet for them to nobble on and also for Tiekie I leave some sunflower seeds In a separate bowl on the cage I also leave a treat like seed mix with millet spray, I never knew a bird can go ballistic for millet spray. So i basically think with all your help and from the other readers for giving advise on different forums especially on this forum I think my birds are happy it really took me some time to get them onto this program but it was worth the while. Sprouting: I am busy with my first batch of brown lentil sprout. how long can i keep sprout in the refrigerator? and can I add the sprout to every meal?
Sheils
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Ringneck
Flight: No

Postby stevesjk » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:03 am

And yet there are bird owners who Wouldnt know the solar schedule if it slapped them in the face and they never had a minutes trouble over many years. You'd think an exact science would provide exact results.
stevesjk
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Sheils » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:00 am

Please help, I was told that Moringa leaves have 25x more protein then spinach , 17x more calcium then milk,4x more protein then eggs, 15x more patassium then bananas and 10x more vitamin A then carrots? Is this true and can I give it to my parrots?
Sheils
Lovebird

Postby liz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 am

I don't know but you have to keep protein down and never feed high iron foods like spinach. I read all ingredients on the package. Some foods are foritified with iron.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Sheils » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:01 am

Thnx for reply, any good advise on my bird that is molting now? I think molting sucks.When i take a shower I take her with me for the steam they say it's good for birds that is molting.
Sheils
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:38 pm

I don't know about steam being good for molting but it is good for their respiratory system. For molting, I would suggest spray baths but don't worry too much about it because birds that have a good diet (mostly meaning not too much protein and fat] have a very easy molt. Only psittaculas (IRNs are psittaculas] always have 'bad' molts - not so much in how long they last but that they are the only parrots that look very untidy and kind of like moth-eaten while they are molting.

As to the Moringa leaves, they are good for people but not for birds because they are VERY high in iron which birds need very little of and which excess goes into the liver and end up causing hemochromatosis, a condition that has no cure or even a treatment when it affects birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:55 pm

stevesjk wrote:And yet there are bird owners who Wouldnt know the solar schedule if it slapped them in the face and they never had a minutes trouble over many years. You'd think an exact science would provide exact results.

The science behind photoperiodism does have exact results, Steve, as proven over and over by scientific studies. It's not as if there is any doubt at all that birds are, indeed, photoperiodic - this has been an accepted scientific fact for many, many years. Poultry breeders use the knowledge all the time and canary breeders have known about how light affects their breeding seasons even before I started keeping them - and we are talking over 50 years! I did a little research and found some dates for you. The first discovery was done in 1911 but it was in 1944 that they first discovered avian encephalic photoreceptors so, as you can see, it's an 'old' fact among people in the know even if, unfortunately for pet birds, there are still a lot of people who are ignorant about it. As to people's comments on whether their birds are doing OK or not, you will have to excuse my skepticism on the accuracy of their opinions. I have found that people are particularly keen on lying online even when they are honest people 'in person' :D Everybody wants to look good and appear as a good bird owner even when they know, deep inside, that they are not. I don't blame them. We all like to 'look good' to other people but it's really not helpful to the poor birds suffering every day from overly grown gonads, is it? But, even when people don't really lie, they might not be reading their bird correctly. It's real hard with birds... I am no expert but I have a bit of experience and I worry all the time about not reading them correctly when it comes to health matters! Sheesh, even avian vets can't do it! They need all kinds of tests and even then they don't know what the problem is or how to fix it half the time!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Im not doubting it Pajarita and ive read your posts long enough to take your word over the dozens of books ive read. The majority of pet parrot books (if not all) simply advocate 'plenty of sleep' and they do not go into how complicated this subject of sleep really is.
stevesjk
Conure

Postby Sheils » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:34 am

Thnx again for advise Pajarita, I must say you have helped me allot on this forum giving advise and actually teaching me how to go about my birds although i hand raised one who lived for almost 13 years I never knew that to have a bird pet you need to look after them as you would look after your own child, I am really greatfull for all advise so far and from the day I started doing all the right things that you advise me to do I could see the changes in my bird. I also followed instruction on how to get Tiekie very very wild bird off from sunflower seeds and to a good diet she does not even want the sunflower seeds anymore. but occasionally eats the seeds. as a very wild bird she is starting to take food from me and she also feels comfortable with me around her but still wild, I take it one day at a time thnx to you Pajarita, and I will still follow all your advise to come. Just one question is it a good idea to spend whole day with them cause that is what I do in my off days I don't go out I spend the whole day with them until sleeping time they keep my busy and it's fun to watch them doing their own thing. Tiekie is molting now it looks like a big molt just want to know if she will get aggressive towards Kiko they seem to get along very well only when it's treat time she wants to attack Kiko to get the most out of the treats was just wondering. Thnx again.
Sheils
Lovebird

Postby stevesjk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:57 am

Its fine to spend the entire day with them, birds need as much company as you can provide. Also its good that you've now got a second bird to keep each other company when you're working. I always say if people work full time and they're not working at home they should get more than one bird
stevesjk
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training