Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help with extremely clingly green cheek conure XC

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Help with extremely clingly green cheek conure XC

Postby ntspamer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:47 pm

:gcc: So i've got this great little parrot, he's super friendly not very aggressive. Loves to cuddle. But he doesn't like being in his cage and cant be left alone at all. It's been stressing me, because every time i leave the room he screams his head off to for me. Even when in the same room as him he doesnt ejoy playing in his cage he just flaps his wings and bobs his head for someone to take him out. It's putting alot of stress on me because I cant be with him 24/7 i feed his harrison pellets and plenty of fruits so he gets a good diet. And he also gets 12 hours of sleep. And I spent alot of time with him, but I need my alone time because I have to study and he's getting in my way because he keeps screaming his head off because he cant stand being alone. Other wise he is a very quiet bird.
ntspamer
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek conure
Flight: No

Re: Help with extremely clingly green cheek conure XC

Postby liz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:06 am

No matter how old it is, it is still like a child. Include him in your daily activitys . I don't do any housework alone. Myrtle is on my shoulder and inspecting every thing. Rainbow is not so clingy but he is in the middle of the house and makes me laugh a lot with the things he does.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:07 am

How old is he?
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:14 am

Well, you have a GCC and that's the way they are, EXTREMELY needy. But, if he is sleeping 12 hours every day, he is not being kept at a solar schedule (they produce sexual hormones at 12 hours of light and, if this schedule is kept all year round, they will produce them all year round which is real bad for them). And, if you are free-feeding Harrison's pellets (I hope from the bottom of my hear that they are NOT the High Potency!!), he is eating too much protein which will also make him produce sexual hormones. You did not say how old he is (do you know for a fact that it's a he?) but this behavior is typical of all GCCs whether they are babies or adults. So, tell us how old he is, how long you've had him, if he is clipped or fully flighted and how many hours -and when during the day- he spends on you and we will give you pointers.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ntspamer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:19 pm

My parrot is about a year, he is on harrison fine high potency pellets. He is flighted so he keeps flying to my shoulders. I guess I should clip him because he's become way too clingy. I spent about 3 hours with him daily, but I have to study since I have classes. I cant have him distracting me. I dont know if having a parrot is a good idea because I need my personal space. I enjoy hanging out with him, but he needs to be able to somewhat independent. I cant care for a child because of academics.
ntspamer
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek conure
Flight: No

Postby Navre » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:56 am

A green cheek doesn't need the high potency. Switch to Harrison's lifetime, or TOPS.

I wouldn't clip the bird. I clipped mine recently and it has been a disaster. Keep him in her cage when you need to study without her.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 am

Well, all GCCs are more than just 'clingy', in my personal opinion :lol: At least, that has been my experience with the four I've had. Even Boca, a male that had been abused and bit hard all the time when he first came wanted to be on me all the time. Like I said, it's the way they are and people who choose them need to have this into consideration because depriving them of their human's company is really quite upsetting to them. And, if you are feeding him such high protein food and, on top of that, keeping him at a human light schedule, he must be terribly hormonal -which makes them SUPER needy! You need to stop the High Potency immediately. It's way too high in protein for a fruit eating bird and you will end up destroying his liver and kidneys with it.

Please don't clip him, it's not only very unhealthy to do this but also it's no solution at all. And keeping him in his cage is also no solution because GCCs need more out-of-cage and one-on-one time than other species. If I were you, I would seriously reconsider the species of parrot you chose as companion because it seems to me that you need a much more independent species with your busy schedule...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:06 pm

When you study could he not just stand on your shoulder or is he disruptive and wirey?
stevesjk
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training