Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Do mated parrots have aggressive fights?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Do mated parrots have aggressive fights?

Postby DanaandPod » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:21 pm

Hi. Im just curious. People keep their parrots in seperate cages, to protect them from fights. But have there ever been accounts of bonded parrots thst live together, in same gage, having a fight? One in where one gets badly hurt???? A beak bit off or a toe bit off?
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Do mated parrots have aggressive fights?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:58 am

Yes, mates have been known to even kill their mates but it's ALWAYS because the conditions are bad - inadequate housing, bad diet, sexual frustration from human light schedule, etc. It never happens in the wild, only in captivity and only when the people keeping them don't know what they are doing. Basically, it's always the owner's fault.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:17 pm

We have had to separate pairs, although I don't really know if they were bonded to begin with. I suspect they just don't have enough space.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:57 am

I took in a mated pair of cockatiels from the same place I got Rainbow. They had been together for many years but Curly turned into a wife abuser. Poor Sunny took the position of a battered wife. She had feathers ripped out and was very depressed but kept trying to be with him. He was so mean to her that I tried to separate them. She cried and called for him all the time.
I rehomed him and she seemed to calm down. When he was given back to me she started her calling again.
I rehomed her to a woman with two male cockatiels. One fell in love with her on first sight. She responded to his attention.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby DanaandPod » Sun May 20, 2018 10:51 am

Thank you for the information.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Return to Taming & Basic Training