Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I have made a mistake and I wanna fix it but I need help

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

I have made a mistake and I wanna fix it but I need help

Postby Icnatslpel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Hey everyone, I might need some help cuz I knew I have done the wrong stuff and just realised that I was interacting with my bird the wrong way I am a really bad owner right now. BUT I want to change I will give it time love and patience And I really need help so Im gonna tell you my situation rn:
So I got my bird when he was 3 months old an african grey I knew nothing about birds And i tried to teach him to walk on my hand with time he was walking up my forearm but i saw his feet shaking and he was still there i was putting my other hand on his back so he calms down but after ( well he wasnt getting on my hand so easily it was a no way out either on my hand or fall down so he did it sometimes) but after a while i got bored so my father was getting him one kind of food (the seller told him its best for him, and my father is the one that feeds/showers cleans the cage and he still doesnt know anything about how to interact with it like he was telling the parrot to go on his hand and if didnt he would slap him, i told him its gonna hate you so he stopped doing it) and fills his bowls in the cage for a long time, now he is 2 yrs old i only interacted with petting and talking to him over that year and stuff but today i felt like to make him go on my hand but surprise he started biting my fingers, i thought it would be better to show him its not affecting me and kept pushing my hand he went on it and flew to the ground and i tried from down there he did same thing and climbed up his cage and didnt let me do it i kept trying and trying either he runs to the side of the cage so he bites me or he doesnt even move, sometimes i got angry and made a noise to make him stop but i guess what i did was wrong i was really a bad owner.
But now I got the time and this time im serious about it. I want to change and give my parrot a happy life and make him my friend and show him its fun to be with me, but since i have made many mistakes before cuz lack of knowledge and i had my uncle as a teacher and he only told me to do these stuff and not care about biting. i have decided to get help from people on the internet this time, please if someone can help me and tell me the right way like how to start, what to do everyday, how do i teach my parrot some stuff, how to show that my hand isnt scary to step on.
thank you everyone for reading and hope you help me
Icnatslpel
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: african grey
Flight: No

Re: I have made a mistake and I wanna fix it but I need help

Postby liz » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:54 am

Start from the beginning again, as if you just got him.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:26 am

Oh, geez! I can't answer right now because it will need to be a long one and I have to leave but I will tomorrow so check back with us then. Maybe other people will reply to you...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:42 am

Tell your father not to hit the bird because that constitutes abuse and he could get arrested and the bird removed from your care. Other more experienced people may be along to help you but start off by talking gently to the bird and offering him treats from your hand.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:38 am

I have to admit that I did not post again here not because I forgot about it but because the only answer I can give to this is to PLEASE rehome the bird to somebody with love, patience and knowledge. I really do not think you can fix this, my dear. I know you have good intentions but hitting and neglecting a baby bird has consequences beyond the obvious. I doubt this bird can be now brought back to normal by you or anybody else in that household. Baby birds, like human babies, grow up disaffected when they are neglected and abused and there is no 'fixing' it. Children require therapy for pretty much the rest of their lives but there is no such thing for birds... The psychological damage is there and will not disappear no matter what you do so the best thing you can do for the poor animal is to give it a clean slate with somebody else because, let's face it, your father is not going to change no matter what we say.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training