Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I'm confused....

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

I'm confused....

Postby Waffles » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:03 pm

So I've had my cockatiel for 2 months and 21 days, and so far, she/he is adjusting well! although she is still slightly afraid of my hand she will allow me to take her out of the cage to play outside of it, and she sometimes doesn't freak out when she's near hands :D! what confuses me though, is how she can sometimes not be afraid of hands and be compliant and other times she/he will just run the other direction! It's strange because now she sits on my shoulder and is more used to me than when I got her so I don't know if she does or doesn't like hands...she/he is in her/his molting phase, so their tail feathers will grow back soon :D!)

Sincerely, a confused Bird lover
Waffles
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: I'm confused....

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:33 am

Cockatiels are aviary birds that are hardly ever handfed [too much work for an aviary bird] so, although they can learn to love and trust a human, it's not as if they can ever bond as deeply as a hand-fed companion parrot. People say they do but that's mostly wishful thinking on their part as well as a lack of knowledge [not that they might not be knowledgeable in cockatiel care but if you never had a deep bond with a handfed companion parrot, you have no point of comparison for what you are getting from the tame tiel]. And that is the reason why they are so leery of hands while a handfed companion parrot has no real issues with hands unless it was mistreated. Of course, clipped birds are more afraid of hands than flighted birds because they can't really get away from them... But, if you never ask/insist on anything, in time, it will learn to accept your hands consistently. Taming a parent-raised aviary bird is baby steps for a loooong time before you can say the bird trusts you implicitly. Of course, having a flock around them helps with that because it feels safer than being alone -a very stressful situation for an aviary bird [hard to relax and learn to trust somebody when you are always stressed out].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training