Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

baby tiel

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: baby tiel

Postby stevesjk » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:50 am

As i understand it, 2 weeks is the age that most breeders remove chicks from the nest to start the hand rearing process.

Since studying this subject in depths im beginning to think that interfering with nature is not such a good idea.

Although with that said i once had a hand reared male cockatiel for 8 years and providing he had his freedom he was the best pet i ever had. I found him a lot easier to handle than the senegal i currently have although as he matures he is coming in to his own regards pet quality.

Congrats on your baby tiel.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:06 am

Yes, three weeks is more like it but, personally, I don't believe in taking babies from parents at all. Now, let me explain what I mean by that. Parrots need to imprint to people through handfeeding or the taming process becomes long, way too stressful to them and the bond is never as deep BUT this can be done through what is called co-parenting. This means that the babies remain with the parents for as long as nature dictated they should but people handle them regularly and even feed them once a day or so as to create the bond. It's infinitely kinder to both parents and babies to remain together - and much healthier to the babies because the imprinting does not 'mess up' their bird identity. I once read an interview to a couple who bred macaws and had put cameras in the nests and, when they took the babies away, they saw the videos of the parents crying and looking for the babies for days and days -they stopped breeding after that!

The other problem with taking babies from the nest is that people expose their eyes to light before they are fully developed. Baby parrots are born with undeveloped eyes and they need to be kept in darkness for the eyes to finish developing. When you expose them to light, you end up with birds that have faulty vision -kind of like presbyopia in people.

And yes, I am sure that she knows she is a cockatiel. Cockatiels are aviary birds and they are never confused as to what they are and who they belong with... they know it's birds and they know it's other cockatiels. It's large species of companion parrots that end up confused.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Pajarita, i do agree with you on the hand rearing but i will say this. I knew a parrot breeder who used to hand rear, he would have 5 pairs, all with clutches of similar age and he would take one chick from each nest and effectively form his own clutch of unrelated babies so the parents still had young to raise to completion.

As ive said before, i paid full price for a hand reared senegal but unfortunately they werent genuine and they sent me a parent reared. After research ive learned its not the disaster i thought it was because of the reasons highlighted in pajaritas post. In fact there are some people who only buy parent reared so the bird knows its identity.

The relationship is pretty much how pajarita describes, he flies to me for head rubs, hangs out but then goes back to his toys to do his own thing, hes not cuddly tame, you cant hold him and even to the inexperienced eye you can see its just a tamed wild bird
stevesjk
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:23 am

Well, all I can say is that the breeder you mention is a very dishonest person! And somebody who doesn't give a fig about the poor babies he is producing because although you put the effort in doing research and the time and work into taming your bird, I am sure that most of the parent-raised ones that he sold as hand-fed ended up either cooped up in a cage all their lives or in a rescue! Senegals can be extraordinarily aggressive birds! And I have the scars to prove it!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Yes i know, my bird has given me a slight cauliflower ear and has tried to gouge my eye out. Ive been bitten over a thousand times.

When i researched the breeder i found he has a terrible reputation and has sold even bigger birds like amazons and african greys that have really hurt the new owners.

I got my senegal from parrotcare.com. god knows how many of his birds end up in rescues, i wish the relevant authorities would investigate.
stevesjk
Conure

Postby frozengirl » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:24 pm

that is so sad, pet stores are the same way too, one pet store owner told me to feed my older cockatiel avocado, that he sold to me (after selling his mate seperate) ! He just wanted the bird to die so I would have to buy another one from him. That is why I bought my baby cockatiel from a breeder.
frozengirl
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Cockatiel

Postby stevesjk » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Its terrible the hands that these creatures find themselves in isnt it
stevesjk
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:51 am

Yes, it is terrible and it is extremely sad but it's also our fault, you know? Because we allow these things to happen by not caring enough about changing the laws. The pet industry always uses the same fallacious and disingenuous excuse: "We don't need laws, we need education!" And it's BS! No change has ever been done through education, you need the law first and then the education! People who make money out of animals, people who abuse them or are indifferent to their suffering is not going to change through education, they need to be made responsible through laws and, if they don't follow them, they need to be penalized. Period!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:03 am

stevesjk wrote:Yes i know, my bird has given me a slight cauliflower ear and has tried to gouge my eye out. Ive been bitten over a thousand times.

Yes, they can be VERY mean sometimes. Right now, I have a hard time typing [and doing everything else] because Linus bit my left index finger real bad... He was on the floor, standing next to his beloved cardboard box and I was feeding him a piece of banana with my left hand when Sophie flew down to my right shoulder so, without thinking, I grabbed another piece of banana with my right hand and reached out to her with it and, apparently, Linus took exception to it and grabbed my finger instead of the banana - and would not let go for anything, the little stinker! He bit deep and put a lot of pressure behind it so now it resembles more a blood sausage than a finger :lol: because it has turned purple and got so swollen I can't bend it at all. But the silver lining is that, because he bit so deep, I lost all feeling on it from the first joint to the tip so it doesn't hurt at all :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training