Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lorikeet seems tired and unenergetic and does notouch target

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Lorikeet seems tired and unenergetic and does notouch target

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:38 am

I have found some lorries to be very sweet and very interested in people, even some who are paired up with a mate. I have really come to love these little butterflies who think they're birds.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Lorikeet seems tired and unenergetic and does notouch target

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:09 pm

John is correct. A super messy cage [and a wide perimeter around it, including the wall behind the cage] is the sign of a healthy lorie. The mess they make with their super liquidy projectile poop plus the difficult diet are the reasons why most parrot owners decide against them.

It is concerning that she is so very hungry when you get in... Why don't you try leaving pureed fruit [from a baby food jar] in her cage for during the day?

I don't know why a baby bird that was hand-fed would be so afraid of its owner... It's not supposed to happen. Maybe she is not afraid and you are misreading her reaction? Or maybe she was not hand-fed?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training