Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Windows

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Windows

Postby Clickx8 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:12 pm

How could I teach my cockatiel to learn what a window is. He enjoys being at windows all day, but he cant seem to grasp what the window is and he constantly tries to take flight at the window. Is there any way I could show him that he cannot go through a window?
Clickx8
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: -Cockatiel
-Lovebird
-Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: Windows

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:20 am

Is the bird clipped? Because I've had a flock of up to 36 flighted cockatiels at one time and not a single one of them crashed against a window - and I'll tell you something else! I had the kind of windows that have four panes on both the bottom and the top and the tiels would fly over to them and calculate the landing so perfectly that they were able to perch on the top of the bottom part and even on the little thingies separating the panes! And that takes not only good sight but also A LOT of skill! If he is not clipped and has not learned on its own in a week or so [you can walk him around on your finger and putting his face near the window, tap on the glass with your finger so he can hear and see there is something there], you can always use decals on them and take them out once he does learn.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Window perches help birds learn what windows are I so heard people use stickers
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1

Postby liz » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:05 am

Zorro_the_bhc_2015 wrote:Window perches help birds learn what windows are I so heard people use stickers

That would solve the problem. I have cage wire on my cockatiels windows. None of them ever hit the window but the cage wire lets them hang close to the window.
The window perch is a very good idea.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Taming & Basic Training