Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Indian Ringneck

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

New Indian Ringneck

Postby blackscell » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:13 am

Hi there,

I have brought home an Indian Ringneck home about a week ago. He is parentfed and 3 months old. He got a way bigger cage then before and seems pretty happy. He goes on top of his cage, whistles etc.

However, last night I changed his foodbowl and he flew off to under my couch (minimally clipped so can fly a bit).

Took me 3 hours to get him out, he warning bit me a few times cause he was kinda stuck under but I did not react. I hold him and tried to get him out but the space was limited so took quite some time. I am afraid I have made him fear my hands more?

How should I proceed? I cannot change his bowls without him freaking out. Going very slowly, minimal eye contact, speaking in a softly manner.

He might need some more time to settle in, but I would like to try as much as possible when he's young of age.

Any tips?
blackscell
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: New Indian Ringneck

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 am

No, you are doing everything right: avoid direct stare, talk softly, move slowly, etc. The only other thing I would do is always tell him, in advance, what I am going to do. This is something that I always do with all my birds [even the ones that couldn't care less if I go into their cages] because I think that this does not only establish the foundation for cognitive speech but also because it reduces stress. So, if you are not already doing this, I suggest you start by always using the same phrase when you are going to 'intrude' [all I say is "Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me"]. I also always say the same exact thing when I am putting out water {"Water. Thirsty. Water"] and, again, the same thing when I am giving them their food: "UUUUUHHHH, LOOK, LOOK, LOOK! Love it! Love it! HMMMMMM Que rica papa! Yummy, yummy for the tummy!" but, as soon as I say the "UUUUUHHHHH" they know :lol:

Oh, another thing. Is his cage against a wall? Does it have something draped on it to give the bird the semblance of safety? Is his roosting perch at your eye level when you are standing up? Because all these things would make him feel more comfortable.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby blackscell » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:49 am

His cage is indeed against the wall. Basically I am doing the same things I did to my African Grey.

Yesterday he flew into a small hallway, I closed the door and sat there with him since he had limited space to go to. He softly nip a few times when I put my hand on the ground but eventually stepped up, even though he was still afraid. He climbed up to my shoulder and sat there until I walked to his cage then he flew off.

He is still scared though, thought I made some progress but still flies around a bit when I approach his cage to change the bowls. When he stands on top of his cage he is higher then me, so feels pretty good up there.

Today I played some IRN sounds on Youtube and he flew off to my PC, where the sound came from. Is he seeking interaction with other IRN?

I do talk to him when changing his bowls. He usually just sits and watches us with one eye the whole day.

How should I proceed? Close his cage and let him only get out by hand? Right now I just open all the doors so he can do whatever he wants.
blackscell
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 am

You are doing just fine. Opening the door to the cage and allowing him to come out on its own is the right way to go and, if you feed him right and let him out about two hours before his dinnertime, he will go back into the cage on its own.

Now, I am not trying to pop your balloon, just making sure you understand that a parent-raised aviary bird is completely different from a hand-fed companion bird so, although the way to get a bird to trust you is pretty much the same whether it's one kind or the other, this IRN is never going to bond like your CAG - you do realize this, right? It will learn to trust you and even love you but there will be no deep bond no matter how hard you try because the window of opportunity for this is closed for good. And yes, of course it went to the computer when it heard the IRNs! They are aviary birds and need the company of others of their own species to be happy - even the hand-fed ones do! If I were you, I would not expose it to it, it would only make him miss his family more... What I would do is have it DNA'd and get another one of the opposite gender.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby blackscell » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:34 am

Yes I understand. However, he/she has been handled by hand while being parent raised. But the wrong kind of handling, by 5 kids. They chased him whenever he flew and hold him, that made him more and more anxious of people.

I do think giving him a mate in the future will help alot. He does step up more often now when I ask him on a perch.
blackscell
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:54 am

GREAT attitude and the right frame of mind, Blackscell! You put the bird's happiness before your desires! My hat off to you! :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Taming & Basic Training