Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal perching confusion

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Senegal perching confusion

Postby planetouched » Wed May 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Our senegal, Spaghetti, was recently brought home from an elderly woman who could no longer take care of the little guy. He's a little loud and LOVES to cuddle. Noise isn't a problem (working on that), but the cuddles is. I know you're thinking "What?!" It's true; every time a hand or finger is offered, Spaghetti offers his cute little head for a scratch. If the finger or appendage is placed at breast or foot level, he adjusts his head level to compensate. No matter how many hands I have in the cage, he nuzzles the lowest, which is adorable, but make training harder. Any ideas?
planetouched
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Senegal perching confusion

Postby issy » Wed May 12, 2010 8:29 pm

Thats so cute XD

Try to get him to perch on a stick first. It looks like he associates your hand with getting a scratch. =D
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Senegal perching confusion

Postby planetouched » Wed May 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Funny, he actually hates sticks. And towels. I think poor handling by the previous partner.
planetouched
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Return to Taming & Basic Training