Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Adopted African Grey Wont Step Up Inside Cage

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Adopted African Grey Wont Step Up Inside Cage

Postby Katelyn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 am

liz wrote:I have ladders for Phoenix. That way he can climb up and down from where the others are. Their cage has multiple doors so I have more than one ladder in case someone is blocking one.

Rainbow climbs up on the side of her cage to get back up on top or walks over and asks for help.

Hahaha thats too cute! The ladders are a good idea. Chloe loves the play gym on the top of her cage. Sooo something I have noticed about her since shes been home, is she is constantly "grooming" her toenails. Theyre not bleeding, its not her toes, just her nails. I read online that this is from stress. Probably from her new environment. Has anyone experienced this before? Also, the cutest thing... If something frightens chloe, like we walk by with something weird in our hand, or the cat walks in the room, she will say "woah!" . Its too cute and a good way to let me know what she doesnt like. :lol:
Katelyn
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:55 am

Well, wait until next year when she molts her clipped remiges and, if the tip reaches the tip of her tail, it's a girl and, if it doesn't, it's a boy. But, if you still cannot tell, I suggest you DNA because one needs to know if one has a male or a female as a female needs to be watched during breeding season and given more calcium if she lays.

As to her chewing her nails... well, the behavior itself is natural as they do groom their nails regularly so I guess that it's the frequency of it that makes it a symptom of stress. Are her claws overgrown or clipped too short or too blunt, by any chance?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Katelyn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Pajarita wrote:Well, wait until next year when she molts her clipped remiges and, if the tip reaches the tip of her tail, it's a girl and, if it doesn't, it's a boy. But, if you still cannot tell, I suggest you DNA because one needs to know if one has a male or a female as a female needs to be watched during breeding season and given more calcium if she lays.

As to her chewing her nails... well, the behavior itself is natural as they do groom their nails regularly so I guess that it's the frequency of it that makes it a symptom of stress. Are her claws overgrown or clipped too short or too blunt, by any chance?

Yes I will probably for sure get a DNA test later on once shes used to me. As we speak, shes hanging upside down in her cage going in circles, playing with her toys. She seems to be pretty happy right now! Thats good huh?! Well her nails seem to be of normal length, but maybe a little blunt? Shes been chewing on them often since I got her. The previous owners are going to call me this evening to catch up so I am going to ask them about it, if she has done this before. Also, what do you use to line the bottom of your cage? I cant seem to find the free newspaper now days like I used to. Right now im using cardboard that I cut up.
Katelyn
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:56 am

Hanging upside down in the cage and going around means she wants to come out. I actually subscribe to a daily newspaper and 'steal' free supermarket brochures and ethnic papers so I have enough to line all the cages every day.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Katelyn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:12 am

Pajarita wrote:Hanging upside down in the cage and going around means she wants to come out. I actually subscribe to a daily newspaper and 'steal' free supermarket brochures and ethnic papers so I have enough to line all the cages every day.

That sounds right! The cage was closed when she was doing that. It was when we woke up. I used to use newspaper back in the day with my older bird. SO, update... I was reading about clicker training. Have you ever used this method? Heres my story from yesterday... LOL... I bought a clicker and some millet (she loves it) and I was having hopes this would be a good training method and bonding method.. So everytime I would go to her cage, I would give her a treat and click and say "good girl"! After about 20 times of this (only a little tiny piece of millet each time) I would hide the millet in my hand,and put my finger in as if I was giving her the treat. It got to the point I could touch her beak and she wouldnt bite. (only sometimes but most of the time) So , so far I like this method... THEN, last night we were sitting here at the computers and Chloe flew down in the floor. I picked her up (of course she steps up when shes on the floor) and put her on the perch. Started clicker training some more but this time with step up. My husband was in the background messing around with stuff and interupting it. :( so she got scared of him and flew down again... I ran to put my cats in the room and figured I would let chloe play with some toys in the floor, she walks up to my husbands leg and sais "come here chloe" .. then kept following him.. He was the only one in the room so I guess she was doing this for safety reasons.. ;) BUT I have been on my period and full of hormones right now so I started crying because I thought she liked him more and he has done nothing with her. Doesnt even talk to her.. :roll: So I told him why I was crying and I asked my husband to put her back in the cage to see if she would try biting him or show signs of actaully not liking him. LOL So he goes to the cage and sets her down and he tries asking her to step up again.. (i know not good) and she makes a fart noise at him and sais "GO AWAY!!" Funniest thing ever and I feel better now... :D :lol:
Katelyn
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:49 pm

:lol: That's right, Daddy! Go away! I got what I wanted so now I don't need you anymore! They are extremely smart and often surprise me with their intelligence!

Please don't have your heart set on your being her chosen one. I know it's almost impossible to do this because we all want them to pick us but, with parrots, you really don't know who will become the 'spouse' and who will become the flock-mate. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for it with adopted birds because some of them will automatically attach themselves to the person of the same gender of the previous beloved owner but some will not. It's chemistry, just as it is with humans and falling in love... But, having said that, even when you are not the chosen one, it does NOT mean you cannot have a wonderful relationship with the bird! The only thing is that, if the chosen one is present, the bird will prefer being with that person.

I would not click and give her praise and a reward without their being a previous command and the bird actually acting on it. It's confusing... Think about it. What is it, exactly, that you are teaching her? Nothing! So why is she getting praise, a click and a reward? Mind you, not that I am against giving them treats for no good reason! As a matter of fact, that's what I do every day. I don't have training sessions, use a clicker, target, train for tricks or give rewards for something well done, I simply teach them what they need to learn to cohabit with each other and humans the same way a mother would teach a toddler: repetition, consistency, persistence and verbal praise [and, sometimes, a little scratch on the head but very, very seldom]. I am very relaxed with them and allow them pretty much anything they want to do as long as it's not bothering another bird, fighting or destroying something valuable [and the operative word here is 'valuable' because Lord knows they destroy stuff around the house on a daily basis!]. And it works like a charm for me and my birds - they are extremely well-behaved animals considering they are undomesticated and kept in an environment so very unnatural to them. They obey me better than my own kids did when growing up and some of the rescue dogs :lol:

I also have cats [I rescue dogs and cats as well as birds] and what I do is put them all in 'their' room [which, these days is my own bedroom because one of my sons and his family are visiting and using the guest room and the cats room which we 'transformed' into a temporary second guest room for my grandkids] where they have litter boxes, nice beds, windows to look out of, tall condos to climb and play on, different types of scratchies and I keep them there until it's time for the birds to go back into their cages [they come out when dawn is barely breaking -this time of the year at 6:15 am- and go back between 2 and 3 pm]. The cats don't mind at all and actually follow me eagerly into the room because that's where they get their breakfast [I don't free-feed any of my animals] - so much so that I have to be careful going up the stairs because they run in front of my feet :lol: You might want to consider doing something like that... it's easier on everybody.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Katelyn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Pajarita wrote::lol: That's right, Daddy! Go away! I got what I wanted so now I don't need you anymore! They are extremely smart and often surprise me with their intelligence!

Please don't have your heart set on your being her chosen one. I know it's almost impossible to do this because we all want them to pick us but, with parrots, you really don't know who will become the 'spouse' and who will become the flock-mate. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for it with adopted birds because some of them will automatically attach themselves to the person of the same gender of the previous beloved owner but some will not. It's chemistry, just as it is with humans and falling in love... But, having said that, even when you are not the chosen one, it does NOT mean you cannot have a wonderful relationship with the bird! The only thing is that, if the chosen one is present, the bird will prefer being with that person.

I would not click and give her praise and a reward without their being a previous command and the bird actually acting on it. It's confusing... Think about it. What is it, exactly, that you are teaching her? Nothing! So why is she getting praise, a click and a reward? Mind you, not that I am against giving them treats for no good reason! As a matter of fact, that's what I do every day. I don't have training sessions, use a clicker, target, train for tricks or give rewards for something well done, I simply teach them what they need to learn to cohabit with each other and humans the same way a mother would teach a toddler: repetition, consistency, persistence and verbal praise [and, sometimes, a little scratch on the head but very, very seldom]. I am very relaxed with them and allow them pretty much anything they want to do as long as it's not bothering another bird, fighting or destroying something valuable [and the operative word here is 'valuable' because Lord knows they destroy stuff around the house on a daily basis!]. And it works like a charm for me and my birds - they are extremely well-behaved animals considering they are undomesticated and kept in an environment so very unnatural to them. They obey me better than my own kids did when growing up and some of the rescue dogs :lol:

I also have cats [I rescue dogs and cats as well as birds] and what I do is put them all in 'their' room [which, these days is my own bedroom because one of my sons and his family are visiting and using the guest room and the cats room which we 'transformed' into a temporary second guest room for my grandkids] where they have litter boxes, nice beds, windows to look out of, tall condos to climb and play on, different types of scratchies and I keep them there until it's time for the birds to go back into their cages [they come out when dawn is barely breaking -this time of the year at 6:15 am- and go back between 2 and 3 pm]. The cats don't mind at all and actually follow me eagerly into the room because that's where they get their breakfast [I don't free-feed any of my animals] - so much so that I have to be careful going up the stairs because they run in front of my feet :lol: You might want to consider doing something like that... it's easier on everybody.

She has surprised me so much with her intelligence! Great idea with the certain rooms for the cats and other animals! My house just isnt big enough , sadly. As far as the training, you mentioned to make her do a command first. I guess I didnt state exactly what I was doing. Every time I put my hand in I say "touch!" And when she does, I click and reward. It has worked so far, but if it doesn't end up working like you mentioned, hopefully she will learn just like you would with teaching a toddler as you mentioned. She is so smart its unreal. I call her my stinker. Lol! But yes I know if she does end up bonding with my husband, I will still have a wonderful relationship with her. She keeps me company if I am alone which is great:) I really want one of them java tree stands for her but the price of them online is unreal and i dont know the first thing about identifying trees to make my own. I'm trying to be super safe about what I let her play with and what shes around. Suggestions?
Katelyn
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:59 am

I'll be honest with you, I don't like java or manzanita wood. I have a couple of them because people give them to me thinking it's a great gift for a parrot lover - and I do appreciate the gesture and I even use them but I would much rather use 'regular' tree branches [of which my birds get lots of] instead and I'll tell you why. Parrots need to chew and both java and manzanita are way too hard for that. They are also devoid of bark and there is nothing a parrot likes better than to 'peel' the bark off a branch. So yes, they do last forever and they are easy to wash but, as far as a parrot is concerned, they are as good as a metal rod to perch on - no fun at all! :lol:

Look to the sides of a highway near you and, if you see lots of trees, take a picture with your phone and identify the species to see if it's toxic or not and, if it's not, stop the car on the side and gather as many branches as you can [do it fast because, if you stay long, the state police will come and ask you what you are doing]. I get nice-size ones and tie them to the sides of the cages with untreated sisal rope so the birds can climb up and down and chew them to their hearts' content [they also chew the rope knot and unravel it - which is also great fun, apparently]. Easy and free.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Katelyn » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Pajarita wrote:I'll be honest with you, I don't like java or manzanita wood. I have a couple of them because people give them to me thinking it's a great gift for a parrot lover - and I do appreciate the gesture and I even use them but I would much rather use 'regular' tree branches [of which my birds get lots of] instead and I'll tell you why. Parrots need to chew and both java and manzanita are way too hard for that. They are also devoid of bark and there is nothing a parrot likes better than to 'peel' the bark off a branch. So yes, they do last forever and they are easy to wash but, as far as a parrot is concerned, they are as good as a metal rod to perch on - no fun at all! :lol:

Look to the sides of a highway near you and, if you see lots of trees, take a picture with your phone and identify the species to see if it's toxic or not and, if it's not, stop the car on the side and gather as many branches as you can [do it fast because, if you stay long, the state police will come and ask you what you are doing]. I get nice-size ones and tie them to the sides of the cages with untreated sisal rope so the birds can climb up and down and chew them to their hearts' content [they also chew the rope knot and unravel it - which is also great fun, apparently]. Easy and free.

Yes and not to mention the price of those stands.. like 500 plus. its awful! LOL I could just see myself trying to run off the side of the road and snag them branches. I would do anything like that for my babies. LOL Do you bake them? I didnt know they were able to eat the bark too! Of course if its non toxic..
Katelyn
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:27 pm

They don't eat the bark, the same that they don't actually eat the wood, they chew it and spit it off. It's a natural behavior hard-wired into their brains because their beaks grow all the time and chewing wears it off [think rodents] and because they nest in cavities. They usually like to find a natural hole in a tree or a cliff or wherever but they always 'remodel' it to their taste and, if they don't find a ready-made one, they make it themselves so chewing wood is a very natural thing for them to do. They love to chew cardboard, too so, if you get something delivered to you, save the box for Chloe -she'll love going into it and chewing it to smithereens. I also get the free cars or homes brochures they put on racks at the entrance of the supermarkets [take the ones from the middle so nobody has touched them and make sure you either get the ones without staples or remove them before giving them to her] which I roll up and stick between the bars of the cage because making confetti out of them seems to be a great parrot pastime.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training