Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Confusion or just not understanding commands

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Confusion or just not understanding commands

Postby HyperD » Tue May 25, 2010 2:50 pm

So I have been training Jazz.

She knows how to wave, turn around and target.

The problem is I am not sure if she knows to do the action after the command or just try one or the other until I click?

I started off with teaching her how to wave, she picked that up quite quickly. Once she was doing that fine, I started concentrating on turn around.

Sometimes she will do the right action, but other times I may say wave, she will turn around, I say wave, she turns around then a third time she turns around and then waves!

What would you suggest? Have a session purely on a single command and not mix it up? I obviously will not reward her when she does the wrong action but I am not sure if she is quite understanding it yet!
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Confusion or just not understanding commands

Postby Michael » Tue May 25, 2010 4:10 pm

This is a hard barrier which can only be solved by time, patience, and practice. You just have to keep practicing and only reward the correct ones. If the parrot does a mix, don't reward. If it gets it on the first try, reward. If it gets it wrong. Wait till it stops, ignore a bit, and then cue again.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: Confusion or just not understanding commands

Postby skeetersunconure » Tue May 25, 2010 6:57 pm

skeeter did the same thing at first its justa matter of time and the more tricks you teach the easier it will become for him and you :)
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Return to Taming & Basic Training