Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

help with half moon conure screaming!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

help with half moon conure screaming!!

Postby xXMissEuphoriaXx » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:21 pm

he screams from 7-9 am i have to shhhh's him each morning and then uncover his cage so that he sees me , cover it again and then he stops screaming :? please help.
xXMissEuphoriaXx
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiels, quaker
Flight: No

Re: help with half moon conure screaming!!

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:38 pm

Give him something better to do.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby skeetersunconure » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:16 pm

play with him some in the morning!!!!
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby mandyaquawk » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:48 pm

wow. the holier than thou around here inst so nice.

I am sad to report that conures scream, and that is what they do.
However, shhhhh-;ing a bird that is screaming, or showing a bird any attention at all when they are screaming, makes screaming an even more learned behavior. Kinda like freaking out when a little kid swears. They learn that swearing gets a reaction out of you, and then they are going to do it again. Ignore it, and it's not a big deal, they will stop. Same goes for this scenario.

However, that said, conures are screamers, and like to scream with the sunrise (and every other time of the day. haha) much more than other parrots, so here's my advice.. Birds need lots of sleep, 10- 12 hours, or they get cranky. Really. Keeping your conure in a dark quiet room, covered, will help him sleep in. My Amazon sleeps 10 hours every night, but so do I. And if I get up earlier, and hit one squeaky floorboard when im creeping around the house, he wakes up and says 'goodmorning', which means he is up. Im lucky to have a bird that screams maybe once a day, and its allowed, because hes an Amazon, and he wants to let out a scream from time to time. Years and years ago, I taught him that nonstop screaming just isnt accepatable, and he doesnt do it. One scream is fine, but if there were two, I would walk into the room, not even look at him, not make a sound, not acknowledge the bad behavior, and put him in his cage and lock the door. Then leave the room. Gizmo is out when I'm home. period. So, he found out real quick, like in two days, maybe not even, that going in his cage with the door closed after two screams wasnt any fun. After he was quiet for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, I would let him out. Then if he would scream a couple, then he would go back in.

So try keeping him asleep, in the dark room, and also practice the no screaming in the cage thing. It really works. You have the loudest of birds, but it can still be accomplished. If that fails, (keeping him asleep in a dark room)...there are other alternatives, like having him be on a playstand, give him some breakfast, something to keep him busy. A lot of times having different playstands around in different rooms, and letting our bird just be in the same room is enough. They alot of times just want to see you. See what your'e doing, and be a part of whats going on.

Remember, birds are extremely intelligent creatures. You would scream too if you knew there was a constant party going that you were never invited to and had to be trapped in a cage by yourself. Without any other human companionship around! Think of everyone else as birds, and you're the one human in a cage in a corner. I would totally scream out of sadness and frustration.
mandyaquawk
Parakeet

Postby xXMissEuphoriaXx » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:51 am

first of all thanks for being so nice to me this is my first conure and I'm kinda a noob wih this I have other pet birds but non like the half moon thanks for the advice.
xXMissEuphoriaXx
Parrotlet

Postby skeetersunconure » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:58 am

i have a sunconure that i just got to so im a noob too :mrgreen:
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby xXMissEuphoriaXx » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:10 pm

and soon a noob with a hand reared quaker
xXMissEuphoriaXx
Parrotlet

Return to Taming & Basic Training