Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

HELP with a recently rehomed conure please

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: HELP with a recently rehomed conure please

Postby DarceeR » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:11 am

Thank you again, I ordered some. My boys have already started doing the hat and hoodie but he found their nose uggh.....He seems calmer with me. I let him out with me when nobody is around. He will still catch an attitude and try to come after my hands etc but seems to enjoy hanging out. He does follow me all over the house...not sure if this is a good thing or not. He will climb up my pants etc but I am def more hopeful that he will continue getting better. He does love the new food choices. Thanks again, I am sure I will be back with more questions :-)
DarceeR
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
Flight: Yes

Re: HELP with a recently rehomed conure please

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:20 pm

Well, tell your kids to tie the hood tight around their faces and NOT to turn the face toward the bird when he perches on their shoulders. If it's any consolation, my husband used to walk around with long pants, boots, hoodies and gloves in the middle of the summer because he was so afraid of getting bit but not by a GCC.. he was afraid of the female senegal (which is not that much bigger than a GCC) and the big amazons.

GCCs are naturally extremely sweet-tempered bird and they only start biting when they have not been treated the right way - which, unfortunately, is very common because people free-feed them protein food (which makes them hormonal AND aggressive) and think that, because they are so little, it's OK to spend just a few hours with them which makes them to become resentful, confused and angry. They need as much one-on-one as cockatoos and that's saying A LOT! Mine is on my shoulder right now and has been there since 6 am with a little break so she could eat her breakfast and an earlier, shorter one because she wanted to take a bath in my kitchen sink when I was washing today's raw produce (she takes baths in her water bowl but she also loves to bathe in the sink with the budgies bath bowl -nice and big and shallow- and a trickle of a 'waterfall' from the faucet hitting the bowl on the side -this is so she can get in the bowl without getting water falling on her head which she does NOT like). I am now going to take a shower and she will be coming with me into the bathroom (not into the shower because I never take cold showers and they should never be bathed with warm or hot water).

The key to keeping a GCC happy and healthy is a very low protein diet with high moisture, low to almost no fat at all and very high fiber AND hours and hours and hours spent with them within a strict solar schedule (because hormones make them aggressive and physically uncomfortable) and steady daily routine (this reduces the stress of captivity and gives them a sense of being in charge of their own lives, something that doesn't happen in captivity and which is an important part of their psychological make-up in the wild).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training