Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hand Taming an Aviary Bred Cockatiel

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Hand Taming an Aviary Bred Cockatiel

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:28 pm

My partner has a Cockatiel named Speckle that I'm thinking I might bring to my house as my GCC(Cheeky) is currently living at his house because he doesn't get along with our Red Wing(Tim) or Princess(Prince).
Speckle's a pretty scared little bird and bites occasionally, and when she does bite, she doesn't just snap, she bites and doesn't let go, she'll hang off your hand by just her beak and not let go!! My partner has no patience for her, he'll give her the odd scratch every now and then if she'll let him, but he pretty much bought her as a companion for his hand-reared cockatiel(Ella) that he adores. Now that he's got Cheeky there to keep Ella company, I've been thinking of bringing Speckle to my house, I know she gets along with all my birds here because she's been here before, and she'll also have Cockatiel friends. Prince and Tim pretty much just ignore the Cockatiel, except for the odd tail pull for Prince :quaker: (<--i know that's not actually a Princess Parrot but it looks like a fat Princy).

Anyway, my question is, I really want to stop Speckle's biting, and try some hand taming with her.
She's about 6 months old, she can step up, but chooses not to some times, some times she's really good, depends on if she's feeling harassed or not. She's fully flighted, well, as fully slighted as a 6 month old bird is that had her wings clipped when you got her. I think she'll just really benefit from some routine, but I'm not too sure how to go about fixing her biting. With my hand-reared birds if I ever cop the odd bite(my 1 yr old Cockatiel(Mali) has a nasty habit of trying to remove moles, or any other skin blemish for that matter) a stern word or a growl will stop it quick smart, or with Mali she just get pushed off my shoulder and told to rack off, she generally does a loop and comes straight back. If I did that to Speckle she'd off and hiding for the rest of the day.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC
Flight: Yes

Re: Hand Taming an Aviary Bred Cockatiel

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:31 pm

Can anyone help???
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby HyperD » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:36 am

First you need to gain her trust, which taming will help...

Have you looked up clicker training? Positive reinforcement? You need to give the bird a reason to come to you ;)
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:34 pm

She came to my house last night, and Dad reckons she's only allowed to be here short term, but Dad was having cuddles with her last night and she was letting him give her scratches, which is a big step for her. He seemed to like the idea of having a project bird too, so maybe she'll stay for awhile. She's already settled in with the other birds, she's been with them before except for one(my sister's Tiel 'Chicken' that we're babysitting), and she was getting scratches from Chicken this morning when I woke up so that's good.
She seemed to like Dad, was sitting on him without trying to fly away, let him give her scratches without him holding her. I think she just doesn't get along with my partner and he has no patience for her.

Does anyone have some steps I can follow with her??? Or a good topic you can post the link of? I've tried to have a look, but can't really find much that's too clear to follow.
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot