Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Advice PLEASE!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Advice PLEASE!!

Postby littlegreyman » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:37 pm

Hello all,
This is my first time here. I’m just getting home from the ER with stitches in my eye from my Grey. I’m honestly at my wits end with him. I was bit again after trying to put him on his cage because he did not want to go. I had to cover him in a towel, pick him up and put him on the bottom of his cage. He’s bitten me and left a scar on my nose about 9 months ago and he’s gotten me in my lip. This has been the new thing he’s doing going after my face instead of hands. Sometimes I don’t see any abnormal behavior from him. He will step up on my hand and we will start walking somewhere and he will just clamp down on my hand. I’ve heard to try to put my thumb on top of his beak as he’s biting and apply pressure to get him to release... but then I’ve heard that that’s a negative thing to do. I’m scared to pick him up anymore and I really feel like today has just really ruined our trust and relationship. I’ve had him about 6 years and he’s about 8 years old now. It took me around 9-10 months of being attacked daily by him before he took to me. Also... he’s smart he can get down from his cage so it will force me to have to pick him up and try to put him back on his cage. Ummmm using gloves is a negative thing for him because his previous owner would put gloves on before scaring/harming him, so he starts shaking and baking away when he sees a glove. Currently he’s in bird timeout in his cage covered. I have always let him roam his cage freely as I just don’t want him locked in his cage all day and night especially if I have to work a long shift. I leave tv on with bird sounds and music for him and he has a huge play pen he can climb on as well. I’m scared if I leave him locked in his cage as a punishment that he will just get more aggressive. “Sigh” I just feel helpless and a bad bird mom right now and not sure how to fix our relationship
littlegreyman
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Advice PLEASE!!

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:53 am

Welcome to the forum and I am so sorry you are going through this with your bird. I have to admit that I am always surprised when somebody says they have an aggresive gray because none of the six I've had under my care were aggressive at all. My Sophie is the sweetest thing, she is 19 years old and has never bit a single person in her entire life so let's see if we can help you and your poor 'littlegrayman'.

Now, tell us, what is his diet? light schedule? clipped or flighted? Time out of cage? One-on-one time? Is he only aggressive with you or with anybody? Was he bonded to his previous owner?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training