Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Postby sumera » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:50 pm

Ok, i have an african grey i've had him for about 1-2 months now? he's 4 years old also i taught him how to dance!! hehe ;P :danicing: His previous owner told me ''you can stroke him when he puts his head down'' he DOES do that but i am quite scared :? once i put my finger next to him, so, he can smell/taste my finger so he knows i'm not gonna hurt him, the first time he didn't bite me hard but the second time he literary jerked my finger! :o i want him to step up and let me stroke him without biting me! :shock: Please Help !

Sumera :gray:
sumera
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: African grey, chalkie.
Flight: No

Postby rabia » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:02 am

i bought an asian ringneck parrot 2 days ago... he s just 4-5 months old...
i can feed him through his cage but he doesn't allow me to put my handi in his cage through the door even tough he allows me to touch himself thorugh the bars of the cage...
what should i do now to get him out of the cage...
rabia
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: african ringneck parrot

Postby kiwitheparakeet » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:49 pm

How do you get the bird to bite the target stick. I literally cant get Kiwi to bite the target stick
Kiwi, My first bird :budgie:
kiwitheparakeet
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Michael » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:30 pm

Don't be lazy. Read the article. Answer is there. Read start from finish and multiple times if you have to. It goes into a lot of detail and that's pretty much all I have to say about the topic.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Cockatieltrainer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:24 pm

what i did to teach alvin (cockatiel) to step up was i had a little handheld perch. i taught him to step up on that and i kept moving my hand closer and closer until i used my finger as the perch. he stepped up on my hand in 1-2 hours!!!
Cockatieltrainer
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiels

Postby killer955 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:57 pm

my bird is a macaw and I have 2 one is mac witch is mine and one is blue witch abolutely hate me so I leave blue to him self but my bird some how is afraid of me he used to be calm and like me alot but today and yesterday he bit me and drew blood that what blue does to me I know to not hit and to show no fear and to pick my bird up I let him bite me soft be cause he probloy was teased in the pet shop so I let him bite me but know he come and bite me hard what am I aposed to do about it and I want to know if my other bird can be causing it because the other bird I have I dont pay attention to it because it is very mean and agressive so what do I do
killer955
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: a macay

Postby killer955 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:03 pm

I have two bird one is mac and one is blue.blue is a mean bird so I leave him alone but I had a loving bird for about year now but know my bird is biting me harder than usaly because in the pet shop my bird was awayes teased so bird just bites very soft to make sure he wont pull his hand way butt know he today and yesteryday he bit me so hard I was bleeding could the other bird be the probloem what sohuld I do
killer955
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: a macay

Postby rejean » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:58 am

First of all, GREAT site!!! Practical, to the point and logical. I have a little problem with my Eastern Rosella. He is very shy but yet with some treats and alot of time he will step up. Problem is, I cant take him 2 feet away from the cage then he flies back...

He is still very young (4 months) and might just need to trust me a bit more. But any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rejean, Jassie :danicing: and Alphie :sun:
rejean
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Eastern Rosella
Sun Conure

Postby sanchez » Thu May 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Hello Parrot Wizard and others,

I had a quick question. I have a Sun Conure who's very friendly when he wants to be. When we got him he was already familiar with step up, but we trained him on it anyway. We also used your instructional videos to train him to spin on his perch. He also flips around his perch, kind of like a summersault haha. Anyway, sometimes he's very well behaved but other times he's very bitey. He's about 9 months old now.

Sometimes he will try to bite when we ask him to step up, in that case we let him calm down and try again in a minute which seems to work. My main concern though is this: sometimes he'll be hanging out, doing bird things, relaxing, preening etc. and then all of a sudden he'll bite whatever he's sitting on. Shoulder, neck, finger, etc. But not an agressive bite, more of a playing bite. If it's an agressive bite, it's usually because we're trying to get him to step up while he's playing and he makes a squawk (which we repeat to him to let him know that we make the same sound when we don't like something).

When he bites randomly if he's perched on a finger or playing we've been putting him down on the couch/floor and telling him NO sternly, not yelling just sternly. We've been doing this about 2 months and it doesn't seem to really get to him. Clearly he knows what NO means because if you tell him no while he's doing something that he's not supposed to do, ie: chewing on the couch, he stops immediately and looks like he knows he's done something wrong.

He's also gotten in the habit of clinging to whatever it is he's on, he likes to play in my girlfriend's hair so when it's time to go back to eat etc, he doesn't want to come off and will bite when asked to step up. This also goes for shirts, fingers and especially his play gym on top of his cage.

Anyway, I wanted to get your advice to see if what I'm doing is right or wrong? We're going to pick up a clicker this weekend and we've started target training him with a chopstick (which he loves to chew/bite and now that I know to keep it away from his beak we'll continue the training) and he's taken to targeting well, but he just wants to play with the stick haha.

Any advice? Thanks!!
sanchez
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure

Postby matt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:07 pm

I would like to say that i think this post on teaching a bird from the beginning must be the best resource on the internet for this topic. Brilliant!!!

I have read through the article thoroughly and have started with Dexter, my 4 month old african grey.

Before reading this article i thought i was doing badly because he would not really let me get close to him. But now i am at the stage where he takes treats (almond slivers) from my fingers, and i am using a clicker exactly as directed, but through the cage bars. He has never been out of his cage yet in two weeks of having him. I feel i am making great progress but am a little worried about letting him out the cage, or trying the target training step.

Question is;

1. Should i try getting him to take treats from me with my hand in the cage first, before moving on to target training.
2. Can i do the target training through the cage bars.

Again love this article.

Matt
matt
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Male Congo African grey. DOB 14 March 2012

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training