Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Postby LadySaphine » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:53 am

Well, it seems I got the 'worst case scenario'. Great.

The new parrotlet was going to be used as a breeder, so she's untamed. If I put my hand near the cage she flips out, and if she does get out of the cage she flies around (she is unclipped) and hits into walls.

But I'm glad this is here, right now I need to figure out her favorite treat...
Peanut - :gcc: Yellow-sided Green Cheeked Conure. Rest in peace, my Peanut.
PJ- :bluebudgie: Cobalt Budgie
Steve- Image Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet
LadySaphine
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet, two button quail hens
Flight: Yes

Postby angelblue » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Update: I have been a lazy bird owner. Now that my kids are well trained to target, but refuse to step up, I have been very bad at training. I know partially the problem is me, but I cannot overcome the refusal to step up. I can pet my birds, get responses to trick commands, but they refuse to let me control their movements. I am afraid of when their flight feathers grow back because they won't step up. I don't want to be stuck in a situation where they can't get put safely in the crate when it is time for me to leave, which would make it so I never let them out.....catch 22. Still looking for someone (hey Micheal?) to give me some help in getting my frightened birds to step up. Thanks
angelblue
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Amazons. Yellow nape, orange wing and Panama
Flight: No

Postby angelblue » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:59 pm

dvdsy wrote:Hello!
I need some advice for this one....
somehow I don't know what happened but xD , I used my finger as the stick but still not sure if it thinks where i point is where my 2 cockatiels will get treats...

here is the scenario :
I don't have a clicker so I look for an alternative thing to use , but I will still use the word "clickler" to refer to it.
Whenever I did the clicker , sometimes it would look at me or the place I used to give treats to them , and a while ago , I used my left hand and point at a place , and it is like ready to lunge or extend it's neck to get the treat, and so I used my right hand to reward it with treat, and sometimes it works , it would look at the place I point like , look here , and come here , I will give you reward here , but for now , it won't work too far , except near or where it can reach out from the perch , should I continue this? and slowly extend the place where it should go?

I have trouble interpreting your dialogue. I would guess what you need to do is be consistent, so the bird learns where to touch to get the treat. Don't reward her until she has done the trick, or she will get confused about what the reward is for. It shouldn't matter which hand. Build trust, then you may get her to come out further.
angelblue
Parrotlet

Postby angelblue » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:01 pm

LadySaphine wrote:Well, it seems I got the 'worst case scenario'. Great.

The new parrotlet was going to be used as a breeder, so she's untamed. If I put my hand near the cage she flips out, and if she does get out of the cage she flies around (she is unclipped) and hits into walls.

But I'm glad this is here, right now I need to figure out her favorite treat...

Try keeping her caged for a few sessions to get her used to taking treats between the cage bars. Then try keeping her caged but open the door and give the treats through the door, not letting her out with out getting by you. Don't be afraid of her.... you know what a bite feels like now so you can try to ignore it and the less you are intimidated the more likely she will trust you. Good luck.
angelblue
Parrotlet

Postby Emily Thomas » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Would it be okay to use a spray bottle on them when they bite or would that be bad?
Emily Thomas
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey

Postby angelblue » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32 pm

Emily Thomas wrote:Would it be okay to use a spray bottle on them when they bite or would that be bad?

It is best to ignore negative behavior. You don't want to reward it, but if you reward negatively it may be thought of as attention and garnish future behavior. Besides why would you want your bird to not enjoy time with you. Teach her that all attention from you is good and ignore her bad behavior by not giving it a response at all. If she is biting, give her space to calm down and try again later. She wont trust you if you constantly don't listen to her when she says "no." She has a mind and instinct. You are trying to mold that into trusting you, wanting to be around you. It is hard, especially when you are hurt. But she doesn't know yet that she shouldn't hurt you and hurting and scaring her will not teach her that.
angelblue
Parrotlet

Postby arwadas » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks so much for the info!
arwadas
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Grayson » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:13 pm

loukasvvl wrote:i am trying the walk away stuff now......i own him for 2 days now....i have him on my desk so he is close to me....what kind of stuff can i use for a "treat"??

You need to find out what he likes. My birds ended up liking safflower seeds, but your bird might like anywhere from safflower seeds to pieces of fruit. Here's a good way to find out: Offer him a mix of different kinds of bird seed, dried fruit, and nuts. Once you find out, only give it to him as a treat.
Grayson
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conures

Postby Grayson » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:18 pm

angelblue wrote:Update: I have been a lazy bird owner. Now that my kids are well trained to target, but refuse to step up, I have been very bad at training. I know partially the problem is me, but I cannot overcome the refusal to step up. I can pet my birds, get responses to trick commands, but they refuse to let me control their movements. I am afraid of when their flight feathers grow back because they won't step up. I don't want to be stuck in a situation where they can't get put safely in the crate when it is time for me to leave, which would make it so I never let them out.....catch 22. Still looking for someone (hey Micheal?) to give me some help in getting my frightened birds to step up. Thanks

I have very nearly the same problem. You just need to make the bird step up. I started out using a perch from the cage. Try one that the bird sits on all the time. Hold the perch in a horizontal direction and slowly push it slightly above the bird's feet. The bird will instinctively step up onto the perch. You do this saying "Step up," or whatever your cue is, every time you do this. Eventually, the bird will step on the perch on cue. After this, you should have some sort of training stand to take your bird to for training. You can use anything for this, the Parrot Wizard (Micheal) has training stands on his website, but you can use the back of a chair if you don't have one. Use the perch to get the bird to the training stand, then repeat the step up method with your finger, instead of the perch. The bird may bite, but you'll have to put up with it.

I hope this helps!
Grayson
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conures

Postby eckie awesome!2732 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:04 am

my eclectus loves millet but she eat 1 whole millet at dinner time with a mix of seeds nuts fruits and vegitables Which can be extreamly expensive! While my lovebirds on the other hand only nibble on their millet and dont like it as much as bindie ( my eclectus )
eckie awesome!2732
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 13
Types of Birds Owned: 1 eclectus parrot, 2 peach-faced lovebirds, 3 cockatiels, 2 budgies, 2 quails,
1 pale headed rosella x Eastern rosella, 2 bourke parrots,

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training