Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Postby zazanomore » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:12 pm

It took me a while, but I got my untame pair of budgies to do targeting.

It just takes lots of persistence.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby Imran Ahmed » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:29 am

Ok guys, Congratulations and wow.... this post was amazing. Finally i got my most confusing questions answered. Thanx Michael you do know your thing man.

I would just like to share that in my experience, becuase i didn read much, i started things really informal. But with time it did do me some good. My Alexander's Parakeet was hand fed by me, so from the beginning he was really comfortable being on my hand. I mean as he grew he even started picking pulses and corn from my hand. I trained him without a clicker and without a stick. Basically i used a word in our language that means step up and another word that means step down since Jef started eating from my hand, on my hand and by getting off my hand. So i have no problems with this.

What i would like to ask is, why does my parrot not obey my command when i don't show him the treat. I mean is their any way he can simply come on to my hand and get off it without being hungry for the treat. I mean i don't want to be assuming things here but i feel i kinda made my bird selfish. If i show him banana's, then he obeys me. Otherwise he won't listen.
Imran Ahmed
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Alexander's Parakeet

Postby straj87 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Hi Kathleen,

I am very new to this forum, in India we don't get this millet spray, what else i can use as treat.
and my love bird is almost 6 months old, she is very afraid to take food from my hand :( what shall i do....

Pushparaj
straj87
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Love Bird
Flight: No

Postby chadsnyder » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:06 am

My parrotlets was very good at stepping up and coming out of the cage (for me anyway). He was conditioned and targeting in 15 minutes. Would you continue with tricks or should I try getting him to be socialable with my wife? He is pretty defensive right now with anyone but me.
chadsnyder
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:58 am

Do both. You can use the targeting method to target the parrot on and off your wife's hand. Just have her stay still and let the bird come on and off rather than her approach the bird which could make it scared or aggressive.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby maahour » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:07 pm

hi dears, i've got a problem, if it is a problem! i had an alexandrine parakeet about a year ago it was wonderful, i can not even describe him! it was a him! we were both in deep affection but once i was away from home he was missed! i never have found whom to blame but i'm still torturing myself. even i tried suicide seriously :irn: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: evn now i can not stop my tears ...anyway...a year later my homie boyfriend bought me different birds ,2 alexandrines, an indian ringneck but i could not cope with them and with the situation finally he bought me a gray congo . at first i did not like him so much but little by little i felt a sort of pity and started to connect to him...
and here is the story: it is about 3 months that i have him, he is about 3 to 5 years, he is so kind with me in fact not afraid of me, i can touch him kiss him, scratch him, put my hand on his back and force him down to sit, he puts his head in my hand and sleeps, he scratches me back, he starts to make lovely sounds when i approach him and all the time he calls me with loud wistles and shouts. BUT HE RARELY STEP UP MY HAND, HE NEVER COME ON MY SHOULDERS HE NEVER COME TO ME VOULENTEERY AND JUST ASK ME TO GO TO HIM WITH HIS LOUD SCREAMS, [b]HE SHOWS NOTHING MORE THAN WHAT I MENTIONED FOR ME TO BELIEVE THAT HE HAS THE AFFECTION I EXPECT FROM HIM, I KNOW THAT I AM STRONGLY WRONG IN EXPECTING HIM TO ACT LIKE MY LOST ALEXANDRINE BUT I DO NOT KNOW HOW LONG I HAVE TO WAIT FOR HIS LOVE, let me say that i am always with him i do give him rewards, i have pepared lots of toys for him and speak to him regularly, he has started to repeat my wistles and sayiny the word "come" and his name but not that much clear except for 3 or 4 times which were loud and clear, i do not expect him to talk too much or even force him to talk at all i just wnt him to be that friend that i need...help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :gray: :? :cry:
[/color]
maahour
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: grey african congo

Postby StephanieJimmerson » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:58 pm

Great information!! I got a 1 1/2 year old Senegal 2 days ago, and she does not step up at all. The previous owner said that they just grabbed her. I tried it the first time and she didn't mind but the second time she tried everything to get away. She loves when I come into the room and sit next to her cage. She will even take treats out of my hand. So I figured that I would start the clicker training, but others think that I should let the bird aclimate to its new environment. What do you think? Also how many training sessions a day? How long for each session? When getting her use to the clicker, how many treats should i give her? Thanks!! :senegal:
StephanieJimmerson
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby laducockatiel » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:25 am

Congratulations on your Senegal!

Well, I think now that you have had it after two days, you can start training it. I'd go with three 10 minute training sessions per day. As for treats, try millet, bread, almonds, roasted peanuts etc. Before giving them, break up into small pieces.
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby parrotlover » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Hey my cockatiel Chevy is being ignornant about stepping up! I don't know why she just all of a sudden stoped wanting to get on my finger! Well she wants to get out on my fringer form the cage but when I set her down she walks off/ runs off ignoring me trying to pick her up. What should I do?!!!!!!!
I Love Chevy! :) Image
parrotlover
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby Ashley » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi Michael,

How would you begin target training with a GCC that only wants to be on you? We just brought home our first bird, a 3 month old GCC, and the only thing she is interested in is snuggling on me. Which is cute and all, but I'd really like to get some training started. She's a fantastic, well adjusted bird, so I know she could do awesome things, but as soon as I open her cage door and put her on her stand, she finds any way to hop to me. She came with her wings clipped, but she still has quite a bit of flight. Where should I start?

Thanks Michael,
Ashley
Ashley
Parrotlet

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training