Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Postby bmsweb » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:21 pm

Titanius wrote:Is there anything else I could use to make a sharp enough clicking sound

if you have a child ask them if they have anything. My son gave my one of his Matchbox cars that made a clicking sound when you pressed down on it. We used that for 2 weeks until our clicker arrived from ebay. Our bird didn't even know the difference.

You could say "Good Boy" or something like that.

Cheers
Paul
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures
Flight: Yes

Postby Titanius » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:44 pm

Thanks Paul for your help.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:00 pm

Titanius wrote:While I was at the pet store I completely forgot to get a dog clicker. Is there anything else I could use to make a sharp enough clicking sound. I tried verbal praise, snapping a distance away, and petting. I don't think the bird associated any of these with being positive.

You need to develop a conditioned reinforcer. It really could be anything that is distinct. A clicker is just the easiest ways. Dolphin trainers use a whistle. Parrots are very visual creatures so I wouldn't be surprised if you could show them a green card or light to mean the same thing as a clicker every time. What develops the bridge is the coupling of the bridge with a primary positive reinforcement, others call this clicker conditioning. When you click and give a treat multiple times, the bird learns to associate the click with treats and as you begin the training process the bird learns to do more of whatever it was doing at the moment of clicking (whether it is touching the target stick, waving, or whatever). The click helps you capture the moment you observed the desired behavior. You can use anything but a click is short, fast, and consistent.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Titanius » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:04 pm

I've been trying the target training. But it seems like with the pointer Jasper is unwilling to work towards it. If I put it somewhat near it's beak maybe then he'll stretch his neck and nibble at it but otherwise he won't really go all out to get it. Also I'd been giving him millet the day before for him to get used to taking treats from me and he was fine with it. Then I tried just using my finger for him to step up and he attacked it. Not really sure where to go from this point...
Titanius
Conure

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:11 pm

You're going to have to follow the directions and have some patience. It doesn't necessarily happen overnight. First it must learn to take treats from you on click. Then it must learn to touch stick. Then to move a half inch to touch stick, then a whole inch. Progress takes practice.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Titanius » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Alright. I'll stick to it.
Titanius
Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:17 am

my budgie is just starting to bite..really bad.... he doesn't do it every time just every few days, is this due to him 'growing up? he will be 6 months on may 14th (i ahve had him since 8 weeks. hes tame but i just want to know the possiblities that are causing him to bite im think its him 'gorwing uo' or he just does not want to come out or hes in a bad mood.....

any tips?
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am

Not sure but I suspect it's because you taught him to bite. I remember at 6 months Duke was sweet and handleable.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Kathleen » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:26 am

What happens before the bite? I think it really depends on how you are approaching the bird. If you know how to 'read' what the bird is showing you with its body language, you could avoid almost all bites.

In the bird's view, it's your fault. You may not see it that way, but the bird is trying to communicate something to you. Positive reinforcement with parrots is about altering the environment around the parrot to encourage it to do something desired..... and altering the environment includes altering your own behavior.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby budgiebuddy » Thu May 06, 2010 10:55 am

My bird will step up on my hand and he is clicker trained but when i try to get him out of the cage he turns around and goes back to his cage right before i get him out then when i do get him out he goes crazy trying to find out how to get back in his cage i have no clue how to fix this and it is hard to train him if he is always in his cage do you know anything that can help??????? :budgie:
budgiebuddy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training