Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help me provide 100% to my parrot

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Help me provide 100% to my parrot

Postby DanyRingneck » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:39 pm

Long story short, I want to provide better care for my parrot, Dany. She’s a blue pallid Indian Ringneck. She will be turning 3 next month, and just recently I was thinking about rehoming her. She has been screaming. We are so bonded, and she’s almost everything I’ve wanted. Her noise level personally doesn’t bother me, but sometimes she just lets out an awful repetitive screeching noise. My anxiety has been through the roof and know it has affected my feelings towards her. Which is why I was thinking of rehoming her. But, when provided with someone who was interested in buying her, I couldn’t help but think about all the things I could do differently. In fact, I bought her another cage haha. I thought maybe if I bought an outdoor cage, that it would help me keep sane. It’s not large, although it was labeled as an aviary. I was thinking, if I am having a bad day, she’s having noise problems, and the temp is right I could put her out there and periodically check on her. This is all of course just part of the "problem". When I say she’s "almost everything I’ve wanted", I mean I want her to be better behaved. She will not step up on my finger when other people are around. Also she tends to just fly around the house and go crazy when people are there. Maybe it’s just her personality, but I still highly think we would benefit from a bit of training. I think it would make me happy, it would make her happy, and our bonding would get even better. I just don’t know where to start, we tried training when she was younger and she would attack the target stick. That definitely discouraged me. I just feel like I could provide so much more for her, and I’m thinking I need some suggestions to do so. Thinking about her now, having her be better trained and having an area to put her when I’m going through stress would basically solve everything. I let her out as much as I can, probably at this rate about 4 to 5 hours a day. I want to have her out more but again it would be nice if she would sit on a perch and relax. Which also gets me thinking that training could maybe intellectually tire her, I’m thinking maybe she’s bored.
So please, provide suggestions, training tips, and you can even tell me to manage my expectations ha ha. But I definitely think I could be providing her more care. So let me know :D
DanyRingneck
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: Help me provide 100% to my parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:41 am

Welcome to the forum, Dany and Human. I am very sorry you are getting stressed out by your bird but, before you make a final decision on what to do with her, please allow me to clarify some points you made. Parrots that scream are unhappy and training does not make them happy. An already healthy and happy parrot does benefit from training if it's done right because training does provide a way of stimulating their brains and spending more time with the human. BUT training done right is not as easy as it sounds because it requires a certain knack for reading the bird's moods and behaviors which not everybody has and no book can give you - you are either born with the ability to 'read' animals or you are not.

So, in my personal experience and opinion, you need to figure out why she is unhappy, correct the problem (s) and then start with the training. Now, parrots are essentially physical animals and the environmental conditions they are kept under affect their moods. They need to be fed the right diet (and this is a tricky one for IRN owners because we tend to think that a 'parrot' diet is good for them when it's not - as a matter of fact, no parrot benefits from what we believe it's a ''parrot diet'), kept at a super strict solar schedule (and this is VERY hard to do) and they require constant company (another impossibility for a single parrot in a human household). Mind you, the required conditions are not from my personal experience or opinion, it's what they evolved to live under. IRNs in particular are not easy birds because they are not quite companion parrots - they are more aviary than companion and that makes it real hard on the owners. They do VERY well under the right circumstances but do VERY poorly when they are not right.

Now, please tell us what is her light schedule, diet and normal routine so we can determine what is making her unhappy and then figure out how to help you both.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training