Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Teaching Green Cheeks Bite inhibition

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Teaching Green Cheeks Bite inhibition

Postby spiritpaw » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:36 pm

This is a response I posted for another member but I have started it as its own topic here because I know how long it took me to figure out how to fix this problem. It is quite common with about 50% of green cheeks. The ones who dont seem to out grow their puupy teething stage so to speak. Although many do. it is frustrateing trying to find the answers, but hard to explain to others with gentler beak exploreing birds. :D I hope to make this a sticky or hope a maderator will, so others will not have to do the endless searching to find it or go through so many suggestions and sore fingers and forearms. Green cheeks dont always get bored with biteing in this way so just letting them sit on you while ignoreing it wont always work. They still are finding it fun. I am convinced that green cheeks in the wild probally do a similar thing and wonder how they teach each other that it hurts, or mayby they dont mind beacause their feathers protect them. I have no way of knowing for sure but I bet rough play andwrestling is a normal gree cheek ocureence. If any one knows of info on this or has witnessed it themselves please let me know. Thanks.

This is very like what Kazuya does, and if it is anything like what he does it is not just preening trust me! It hurts, he does the same thing to his toys and everyhing else. And it does seem to be alot like a puppy but like a puppy that never learns bite inhibition!The problem with this sort of biteing is methods used on agressive or fearful birds dosent work. It is a strange sort of play it seems to me, and it seems to be almost always green cheeks who do it. They are haveing fun, but at the same time it hurts and often draws blood. It isnt gentle like with other parrots who are exploreing. He does the same thing to his toys. Now I know with a puppy you would yelp to let it know he is hurting you, but this is probally a bad idea with a green cheek because Kazuya likes it if you slip up and make ochy noises. Distracting does work but only till he loses intrest and what has happened to me is now he has fun biteing and when you give him a toy the smart lil bugger thinks you are rewarding him for it so as soon as he gets bored with the toy he bites you till you reward him with another. Timeouts in the cage wouldnt work because he is so happy of a lil guy he would just go bite something in his cage. So here is what has been working for me, have a perch like a training perch away from anything like toys or food. When he starts biteing set him down quickly on the perch and ignore him. This takes away the fun, then have him target C/T, then have him step up and quickly before he goes back to biteing give him a toy or treat or something to prevent him from biteing. At first only hold him untill right before he gets bored with that toy then either give him something else of interest or set him on his playgym and interact with him from there. It is the green cheeks always happy optimism that makes it hard to teach bite inhibition. And it is there cuddly cute cleverness that makes you want to pick them up constantly. Like puppies with one razor tooth.. Good Luck. :thumbsup:
We shouldnt say "When wild animals attack" it should be said "when stupid people get bit"
spiritpaw
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: yellow sided green cheek conure white fronted amazon yellow naped amazon budgies bird from the mynah family
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training