Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Playing budgie

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Playing budgie

Postby parrotsaver » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:32 am

One of my budgies is either interested in playing but the other is . The problem stands that this playful one is afraid of everything new in his cage or in the room . I can realise that he wants to play cos' he usually takes away one of the perches and makes noise with it . I tried some other things for example with keys ( I know it is toxic , but I just wanted to see how would he react and the result..... he flew away in panic ). What do you think I should do to make him familiar with other things ??? :budgie:
parrotsaver
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: parakeets-budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Playing budgie

Postby Kathleen » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:47 pm

If you have an object you want to introduce your bird to, you can put it near their cage. Put it in a place where the birds can clearly see it and leave it there for at least a few days. After a few days, try introducing it to your birds and see how they react.

Another method you can use is targeting if your birds are target trained. Simply target them again and again, each time make the bird move closer and closer to something that scares them and they will probably become less afraid of being near the object.

If your bird is looking for things to play with, you can use a few things that you might be able to find in your house or at a local store, though I think I may have told you this before

Cupcake papers or wrappers or holders. If you rip these up or cut them up, your birds might be interested in chewing them or shredding them.

Coffee filters. Similarly, your bird might like to chew/shred them.

Birds really like to chew and shred toilet paper. You can also wrap it around some treats and let your birds try to shred the paper to get a treat inside.

I should probably just make a topic about some toy making ideas that I have. I don't know about keys but keys that are used are probably dirty and I wouldn't recommend letting your bird play with them.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training