Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Shoulder standing

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Shoulder standing

Postby rgvianna » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi Psittacidae lovers,

I own a couple of lovely parrotlets, they are 6 months old now. Despite loving them a lot I realized they are quite selfish, in other words self-sufficient.

That's why I decide to get a grey breasted conure. He arrived yesterday and he's lovely and very tamed. He likes people touching his head, beak and loves to get attention.

The only problem I am facing now is that he only wants to stay on my shoulders. I'm not sure if they kept him on shoulders all day long at the store but the fact is that if I take him off the cage he goes directly to my shoulder and when I try to "step up" to put him back at the playground he starts to complain vocalizing and biting my fingers.

I was checking a website and there I found the information that I should put him standing on the perch and give a treat, then he comes to my shoulder and I put him back to the perch and give another treat. Do you think it works?
rgvianna
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Grey-breasted Conure named Tibira
Blue Pacific parrotlets named Filo and Lori
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training