Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is not taming/training your parrots lazy?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Is not taming/training your parrots lazy?

Postby Kathleen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Do you think it's lazy to not try to tame your parrots? Maybe some people aren't into teaching tricks. I understand rehomed parrots have issues and they are an exception. I can never understand some people online who write about their parrots being completely "wild" and are completely satisfied with not making any effort to have a basic bond with them. Is it possible to take care of a parrot properly without basic taming?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Is not taming/training your parrots lazy?

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:50 pm

So really what you are asking is a two part question.

1) Is taming and training a parrot mandatory for the parrot's well being.
2) If it is mandatory, is laziness a compelling reason not to do it.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Hmmm... depends on how far you are taking the training. I have not trained my parrots to do any tricks. They are tame though. I guess they have been inadvertently trained by me to do basic step ups and downs. Beyond that they are free to do as they please. What they really want to do is be on me and get scratches. I wouldn't call my lack of training them tricks lazy. I have 4 birds, all vying for my attention, and I work. I don't really have time to train them even if I wanted to. I also didn't get parrots to perform tricks on command. I got them for companionship. That said, I wouldn't mind figuring out how to train them to maybe play dead... that trick is awfully cute! Also, Pippin (senegal) really needs to learn to not climb on my head. We really struggle with that one.

Oh! Just remembered... I've been working on potty training, which is training... but I've not been consistent so it isn't working too well.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Kathleen » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:43 am

I don't mean tricks. I realize some people don't teach tricks and that's okay. I really mean basic things like step up, maybe targeting, being able to hold your bird in your hand, and being able to check your bird's wings.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby pchela » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:27 pm

Ah, well in that case, I don't see how you could even have a pet bird without basic training such as step ups etc. There has to be some basic commands learned in order to have a good relationship with the bird. If you can't be bothered to teach very basic commands then you probably shouldn't have a pet parrot.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:49 pm

There are people who don't take their birds out of cage ever... :(
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:56 am

I know... it's so terrible. I have seen so many cases of neglected birds in the time I've worked at the pet store. People buy these birds and then grow tired of them, leave them in their cages and then bring them to us to sell on consignment. The birds are usually terrified of people by the time they come to us and require a lot of patience and time to get back to pet status. It's so awful. I just don't understand people sometimes.
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Cozzy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:09 pm

I reckon most of the poeple with either :swaying: , :budgie: or :cockatiel: , would try to train for a peroid of time, if the brid do respone well, they would give up and let the bird in the cages, because the brid is realitive smaller and most of the time with planty of space in size the cage, people don't feel gulity when leaving smaller bird in the cage.

No matter how busy I am I let them out at least 30-40 mins a day.......

At the end of the day it is the owner's choice, trainning takes time but it is fun.....
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape

Return to Taming & Basic Training