Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What is socialization and why is it important?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

What is socialization and why is it important?

Postby Mona » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:21 pm

I guess different people have different definitions of this term, but to me the term socialization means "exposing your bird to new environments, experiences, birds and people"

This is easiest to do when the bird is young. A well socialized baby bird will be set up for life. It is possible to socialize a mature bird but if they were not socialized as babies, they can develop irrational fears and will not be comfortable in new environments. They may startle easier. They may become more defensive. They may never be comfortable outside of a "known territory". This really isn't fair to the bird because a lot of birds will have multiple homes throughout their lives.

I do believe it is important to "safely" socialize your bird as much as possible. If you think about it, in the wild, most species of parrots fly and are constantly exposed to new sights, sounds and experiences - these are experiences that we can barely imagine. Parrots are very visual and intelligent creatures.

Does any body have any ideas how they can safely socialize their feathered friends?
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: What is socialization and why is it important?

Postby Natacha » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:08 pm

I did see a difference.

Shade and Piper were educated by me. I made sure that they, as babies, saw different environments and different people and were handled by these people. Shade often came with me to the local Parrot club meetings.

Now, they are 3 and 4 and seem like well rounded birds; no bad biting behaviours, no screaming and will happily go see anyone who ask them to step up. I've often read and heard that Senegals have tendencies to become one-person birds, well Shade doesn't seem to fit that description; she'll favour me or my dad, but she won't attack anyone else.
If it would happen that she doesn't want to step up (too tired or just doesn't want to), she'll fly away from the person rather than lunge and bite.

I've had to work harder with Joey, Zuri and Petey.

Joey had a preference for men (his former owner was a guy) and would tend to be nippier with me. After a year and a half, he's turned around wonderfully. We are still working on our trust, but things are definitively going better and he doesn't seem to prefer men anymore.

Zuri came to me a shy and nervous bird. Her former owner died and I doubt that in the short time he had her, he had time to properly socialize and educate her (with reason). I've had her since last January and she's slowly becoming more confident. She does come to Parrot club meetings with me and I have other people who come here handle her if they don't mind.

Petey...Petey, Petey, Petey...Has a known problem of aggression towards women. I knew that when I got her. She LOVES my boyfriend and her and I are slowly working on her trust issues. She's slowly becoming better with me. But her bigger progress have been with my other birds lately; she used to run after them if they got too close and try to attack them; now she seems to be able to stand them being on the same play gym and doesn't go after them. This makes me really happy. I'm thinking seeing the rest of my flock get along together and the way they interacted might have had something to do with her progress.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training