Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Poor Baby BCC

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Poor Baby BCC

Postby yazzie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:28 am

HI I have a blue crown conure who is 9 months old, I hand reared baby for a friend of mine who had been waiting for a very long time for him/her, she done her research (or so I was led to believe). The long and short of it is her children became very afraid of Jcako (baby) as when he was going through his nippy stage he went to the children and would nip so they screamed. Jacko was then left in his cage to scream and had no positive contact. Jacko is now back with me and I can say hand on heart he is not going anywhere else (even though when he bites me I could send him packing). I am wondering if there is any good training that I can start with him when I let him out of his cage he runs to the top and I can nbot get him to step up he bites me even if I try with a perch he still does not get on it. I have started with the clicker and when he is in the mood in his cage he will respond, but when he is out of his cage he is just running off, when I am clicker training him he sometime take the treat gentle but most of the time he grabs it with the intention of maiming me. I am so determined to make this work as I always wanted to keep a BCC but never got around to it so I am hoping this is my chance any help please I would be so grateful .xx
yazzie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 21
Types of Birds Owned: Breeding pairs of Timneh Greys, mutation Qaukers, Senegals, green cheek conures, cockatiels and Kakarikis Pet birds are A pair of mealy Amazonsa disabled congo now a Blue crown conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Poor Baby BCC

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Check out the sticky article in this section of the forum, that's a good place to start. There are also many, many threads here on similar topics. Patience and consistency IMO go a long way with any creature.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Poor Baby BCC

Postby hunt85 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:42 am

Thanks for the post, found a lot of interesting information! :swaying:
hunt85