Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

bitting cockatiels

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

bitting cockatiels

Postby warpdrive24 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:13 pm

i have two cockatiels and one i very young but he is very for a cockatiel and his bites hurt i also have another that is older and dosent bite but is clearly scared the younger bird waylon is very teritorial and protective of bou(the older bird) he will bite and brig blood i need to find a way to get them used to me and my hand
warpdrive24
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatials
Flight: No

Re: bitting cockatiels

Postby Kathleen » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:30 pm

The cockatiels have probably bonded to each other (like you said, one tries to protect the other). This is sometimes what happens when you house two birds together.

If you want to have the birds more bonded to you, you should first separate them. If you are going to separate them, you have to make sure that you will give them a bit more attention than you have. Birds are social animals.

The first step to basic hand taming is getting your bird to eat its favorite treat out of your hand. Cockatiels like millet spray, so you should probably use that.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training