Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Please help me!! He is BITING everytime!!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Please help me!! He is BITING everytime!!!

Postby Julianajara » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Yeah, i think I need this, bringing back the basics and finding out what she likes most, well i know she does anything for corn haha thats why i only give her corn when clicker training her :)
I will do the taming basics again, until she trusts me back.
So, i think I will pay attention to her body language and dont pick her up when She doesnt want, if I really need to, use targeting. But i still dont know exacly what to do when she bites me when already steped up on my hand. Maybe Ill grab her and say No just to stop the biting but at the same time dont puting her where she wants, so she dont learns that biting is the way to get there. But, in this case should i stick with her until she calms down or is it better be a fast thing??
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: No

Postby pennyandrocky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:23 pm

try holding corn in front of the hand you want to step up on so that she has to use one hand as a bridge to get to the corn.when she's on your hand give corn,when she's done off hand then she'll know hand =corn. no corn unless she is on your hand.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Postby Julianajara » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:15 am

Yeah taking her into my hand is not the real problem, as i said she know targeting really well and do step up by targeting when she doesnt want to step up for no reason. The problem is when she is already on my hand lifted in the air and decides to bite me. I think that I will do what Cml told me, grab her firmly and say NO than put her on the ground, not on her playgym that is the place she intend to go when bites me. Should I grab her until she calms down? Or just say NO and put her on the floor soon enough?? Or should I do somethingelse in this case? Where is Micheal, I wonder what he would told me to do...
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Postby Julianajara » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:31 am

Omg this isnt working at all, ive been trying grabing her for 5 seca but this she didnt want to see my hand, she went crazy. Now she is biting ever harder. So im trying to ignore again, but when she is on my hand and bites me, she keeps hurting me UNTIL i put her down, but if I do, she is geting what she wants by biting me, what can I do?? Today she bited me til bleed twice, only today!! Im geting crazy with this dont know what to doo... Some times when she is on my hand, she waves to get treats and out of nowhere bites me!! I cant figure why and what to do!
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Postby cml » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Julianajara wrote:Yeah taking her into my hand is not the real problem, as i said she know targeting really well and do step up by targeting when she doesnt want to step up for no reason. The problem is when she is already on my hand lifted in the air and decides to bite me. I think that I will do what Cml told me, grab her firmly and say NO than put her on the ground, not on her playgym that is the place she intend to go when bites me. Should I grab her until she calms down? Or just say NO and put her on the floor soon enough?? Or should I do somethingelse in this case? Where is Micheal, I wonder what he would told me to do...

I just look him in the eye and say no,then put him on the floor.There is no point in dragging it out, the whole idea is to do as glassonion said; let the bird know it wasnt an okay behavior. You dont want it to be a punishment, just your way of saying no (you cant bite back like a bird).
This is my way of dealing with it and it worksfor us. Afterwards we always make up with some head scratching.

The thing is though, now that she is alreayd biting you, making the grab willl be hard as she will try to bite you, and you will probably get bitten more doing it. I cant promiseyou it will work, but it did for us, and I understand that you just cant ignore the pain.

Alot of people think you shouldnt give out any kind of reaction at all to a bite, and to some degree they are probably right. Grabbing a parrot and saying no isnt the best way, but its a way that worked for us.I cant say if it will work for you or even if its the right approach for you. This was a struggle for us in the beginning as well, as Stitch did exactly what hemp is doing towards my wife.
I really do hope it works out =).

Another thing to consider is that she might be in a moody phase? Try restricting out of cage time for a day or so and see if she calms down? I dont know here, but maybe she is stressed out about something outside the cage which makes her pissed off and needs a little time to cool off?
Last edited by cml on Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby pennyandrocky » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:50 pm

what i was trying to tell you is your bird does not like your hand,you want her to like your hand.she does like corn when she's on your hand she gets corn when she's off hand no corn.corn+hand=she likes hand.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby allirho » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Since your bird is biting your hand, I don't know how useful grabbing the bird and putting it down would be. Your bird may even develop a dislike at being grabbed or touched at all, which will lead to more problems down the road.
Seeing as your bird was doing just fine before on your hand, it seems like a strange thing that she would suddenly change her mind.
I read somewhere a little while ago that IRN often go through a temporary biting stage soon after weaning... could this possibly be it?
Sorry I don't have any actual suggestions for you, I haven't dealt with this problem before. But, again, I wouldn't suggest trying to grab the bird as this might just aggravate the problem more.
allirho
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigar

Postby marie83 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:09 pm

I really think I would be tempted to leave her alone for a day or 2 and then start again from the very beginning as if she wasn't tame at all and it was her first week with you, then take things really slow even if good progress is made or your birds already beyond that stage of training.

I haven't read all the messages and I don't know your ringnecks 'story' but is it possible your rushing things too much?

You will get there, don't lose faith. It took 5 years before I could get one of my rescue cockatiels to so much as take seed out my fingers through the cage bars.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Julianajara » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Hey guys i apreciate really much all helps!! My IRN is almost 5 months so this could be that rebel phase, well I hope it is so we wont pass throw it again hehe.

Well I will travel this weekend and she will be 3 days with lots os time without me, when I go back , maybe she will be ready for trying again, i really hope!!

I though, as she is cliped, i thought that, she learned "biting=me puting down" so maybe I need working on a code with her, chosing a behavior and everytime she does that I put her down, and when she bite me i ignore, until she learns that the behaviour is the pass for puting down, not biting.
Do you think this is a good idea?? This way she can comunicate with me and let me know when she wants to be off my hand without hurting me. If it is a good idea, what kind of behaviour can I chose for doing it????

PS: Im puting Bandages on my fingers that usualy get bitten, so Im able to ignore for longer periods, still hurts but helps, and does not make any diference to the bird as a glove would do. :irn:
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Postby allirho » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:01 pm

I think it's definitely possible that the bird associates biting with being let down.
Especially if your bird enjoys time to do her own thing and enjoys exploring on her own, then sitting on your hand for long periods of time can be annoying for her since there's not much to do.
If I were you, I would begin by giving her the opportunity to get off your hand first. So instead of having her step up and then holding her there, have her step up then immediately bring her someplace to be let down (perch, play stand etc.) and see if she will willingly climb down.
If it is just a matter of wanting to be let down then I imagine she would simply climb down without biting.
But if she refuses to jump off and continues to sit on your hand and bite... then maybe it's another issue.

Unless your bird is upset or afraid when you're picking it up, I find it hard to accept that she would deliberately want to hurt you, so she might just not be aware that her biting hurts. Try the ignoring thing for a while and if it isn't making any progress then I would go with GlassOnion's suggestion and let her know that the bites hurt: make a high pitched squeaking noise or a high-pitched 'ow'... I actually make a really short hissing noise when my budgie bites the tops of my ears or my earrings, which I don't like and he usually flies off startled but stops doing it.
allirho
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigar

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training