Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Just bought a second budgie

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Just bought a second budgie

Postby cham87 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:10 pm

So I posted earlier saying that my male budgie Fleury was picking at his chest. I figured it was because he was bored. So I ended up getting another Budgie to keep him company. Here is a picture of her. Her name is Flora.

The thing that is weird is she is heavier and has bigger feet than Fleury. Which makes me think maybe Fleury is younger than her? She will fly around and do whatever but Fleury who is clipped will sit and chirp his little brains out. Is he a baby? I wonder why he is the one to get upset when she flies away and not the other way around?

Also training Fleury has been set back. He does not really want to train now that she is in the picture. I just got her on Easter. What is the best way to train them when they dont want to train because of each others presence?

Thanks guys!
cham87
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Just bought a second budgie

Postby DanielA » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:18 pm

Beautiful pair of Budgies you have there! Hope he gets better! :thumbsup:
DanielA
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Peach-Faced Lovebirds

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:05 pm

This was definitely not the time to be getting another bird. You still haven't made much progress with Fleury and he may be sick/injured and needs your help. Worse yet you introduced a second bird without quarantine (which not only can get sick from Fleury but could also get Fleury sick). Since you haven't given Fleury enough time to bond with you, he's bonding quicker to the other bird which sets back training progress even further. You never did consult a vet or get an expert opinion on the cause of the belly problem and just made a wild guess yourself. You're getting in way over your head and moving too fast. And getting another budgie is no guarantee that they'll get along. Females can be very aggressive and it may end up hurting Fleury even more. Kind of a foolish situation you've jumped into without consulting anyone if it's a good/safe idea or not.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby ginger » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:28 am

In all my years of rescue I don't think I can ever recall a budgie that plucked. They just don't! You need to get that little bird to a vet and hope that you haven't infected the new bird if he has some type of contagious disease. It is too bad that you had problems that were only further complicated by the introduction of a new bird. I hope you can find a good avian vet to help you.

I'm sure that your clipped bird is going absolutely crazy because he now has a new friend that can FLY. How frustrating that must be for him. I am curious...why does your bird have clipped wings in the first place?
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)
Flight: No

Postby laducockatiel » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:03 am

You really need to take him to an avian vet. That problem may be serious and he needs to go to a vet. Imagine how much pain he is in.
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby cham87 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Have not posted in a while, I have been busy with the birds.

I took Fleury to the vet. It was just what I expected. He is fine and I had the new one checked out as well. They are all in perfect health.

Fleury and Flora are awesome buddies. They regurgitate into each others mouth, and love being with each other.

Flora is doing flight recall already which is simply amazing.

Everything is going well.

cham87
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Rambo used to get really upset when Myrtle learned to fly. He would jump off his cage and flap like a humming bird to get some distance before going down. Now she walks on the floor with him.

My oldest male cockatiel, :greycockatiel: Shadow, is smaller than the rest. Even baby Bindi is bigger. I thought it was because he was the common color and the others have more yellow.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby liz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:54 am

It looks like they bonded on first sight.

What you did wrong is water under the bridge. What you do now is what needs the help.

Your clipped bird wants to be with her but cannot so he is very stressed watching his new friend fly around without him.
If you teach one of the birds something new it will teach the other. It is kind of like when I bring in a new "furry". The others take responsibility to teach it the rules of the house and where everything is. They teach the new one about the dog door.
When I brought Myrtle home she accepted the other animals long before she accepted me. I caught Chloe (Chihuahua) trying to teach Myrtle about the dog door and had to stop her.

Two Budgies are just a little more work than one. You no longer have to worry about him being stressed when you leave the house. Just treat them like two kids with different personalities.

I had 2 or 3 of each species except dogs. My son brought home a pup that looked like a Roty but must have been mixed with a German Shepherd. He was afraid of the cats. My aunt got a tiny Chihuahua and was the child in the middle. The older and younger did not cut him any slack. Dakota claimed Chico as a BFF. Chico was the size of Dakota's ear. They bonded and did sleepovers. While my aunt's dogs treated him like the middle child, Dakota treated him like a dog and even taught him how to chase cars inside the fence of a corner lot.

Well that got off subject.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Taming & Basic Training