Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

play dead trick

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

play dead trick

Postby kimbo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:39 pm

how do you teach a :senegal: to play dead. mine doesnt trust me enough to somersault but play dead looks easier although i havnt seen him play on his back much. upside down yes but not on back.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Re: play dead trick

Postby Michael » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:57 pm

It is probably equal difficulty between somersault and play dead trick. Either way, you must have very high level of trust with parrot. Prerequisites include:

-Knowing other tricks
-Being hand tame
-Used to laying on back
-Ok with being grabbed, pushed, and held
-Ok with touching wings

This is a very hands on trick and if you do it wrong or if your bird doesn't trust you 100%, you will get bit!
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby magonicolas@me.com » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:53 pm

I want my parrot to perform this trick 2.
We have trust, he lays on his back while Im whit him, but he grabes me with her legs, Only one time I lay him in the back without her grabing mi hands.
How can I make Him to be alone on his back? Then how I teach him to do it by herself?
Thanks!
magonicolas@me.com
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey

Postby Michael » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:01 pm

You just have to reduce your involvement one step at a time. First hold feet, then relax grip briefly and reestablish grip. Then let go for a little bit with hands close and grab again, then let go completely. You just have to progressively reduce the holding on.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby kimbo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:20 pm

my :senegal: is a baby so we have plenty of time to work on the trust. he trusts me so far as to head scratch and fall asleep on my knee. since i taught him to turn round he uses it to ask to go where he wants or food. also shakes with my finger. goes through tubes no probs. so i think we are getting there. am at the moment saying stroke after running my hand down his back. he shrugs his wings but doesnt bite. not training related but he makes the most adorable rubber band noise with his beak and tongue when tired.have just bought basket ball set 4 him. work on that later.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal

Return to Taming & Basic Training