Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Plets used to learn about dino flight

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Plets used to learn about dino flight

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 24, 2017 10:16 am

The subject of this article is not new. I had already read that the first dino flight had been just more a skip and a jump than actual flight but it also made mention of the fact that birds do not use more effort than they need when it comes to flying from point A to point B, something I have always thought made sense because, in my personal experience, there are only a few species that actually fly for the sake of it and no other reason.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/scienc ... rly-flight
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Plets used to learn about dino flight

Postby liz » Thu May 25, 2017 4:58 am

I had not thought about it before but it does make sence. From walking to jumping then jumping to flapping and flapping to flying.
Cockatiels are so small and fast that I did not pick up on it. Myrtle does a squat and jump. I wonder why chickens and turkeys did not pick up on it. They can fly into a tree but not take flight.

Thank you for the link.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: Plets used to learn about dino flight

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 25, 2017 11:05 am

Well, actually, wild turkeys and chickens (red jungle fowl) do fly. It's only the domesticated species that don't, having lost the ability as domestication changed their bodies.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species