Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal Parrot Comparison for Senegal Parrot Owners

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Senegal Parrot Comparison for Senegal Parrot Owners

Postby Suzzique » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Name Martini

Gender (specify if DNA, known, or guessed) Male (guess)

Sub Species (if known) orange belly

Current Age 4 1/2 years

Age at which you acquired 3 years

Eye color (and age at which it changed) orange don't know when it changed

Minimum, Maximum, and Typical Weight in Grams don't know don't have a scale

Favorite Foods raspberrys, mango (fresh and dried), papya (fresh and dried), snap peas, though I have yet to find anything he wont eat.

Temperament he loves my youngest daughter. She is his person she can do anything to him and he doesn't care. He enjoys seeing my oldest daughter and her partner when they come over. He has also made friends with thier youngest green cheek. He is tolorent of my husband and son. Me he hates with a pasion.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby pfinarffle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Name Peewee

Gender Unknown - DNA sexed male

Sub Species (if known) probably the senagalus (yellow) - how can you be sure?

Current Age Unknown (probably around 10 years)

Age at which you acquired Since November 2009

Eye color (and age at which it changed) Yellow with thin orange ring around the pupil, not sure when it changed

Minimum, Maximum, and Typical Weight in Grams 144 min and 150 max (thus far), 145 grams avg

Favorite Foods Pistachios in shell (unsalted of course), Harrison's course pepper, flax seeds, oatmeal, eggs, anything humans around him are eating (but we're trying to discourage that), he won't touch sprouts, veggies and some fruits (but we're working on this)

Temperament Very clingy and can be extremely stubborn like a toddler! He/she's also great at training humans. Started out as a one-person parrot, but has since begun socializing. We're planning on taking him outdoors and on outings in general as the weather warms.

Last edited by pfinarffle on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby Suzzique » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:25 pm

Ok I think I managed to get his picture resized well enough to post. Pictures never do his eye color justus. It always ends up looking more yellow but they are really almost the same shade of orange as his vest.

Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby lzver » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:51 pm

Name - Jessie

Gender (specify if DNA, known, or guessed) - Jessie has not been DNA sexed ... but we've always thought he was a male - but for no specific reason

Sub Species (if known) - unknown

Current Age - 4-years old

Age at which you acquired - 3 months old

Eye color (and age at which it changed) - yellow - gradually started turning yellow around 7 - 8 months old

Minimum, Maximum, and Typical Weight in Grams - my vet has this info

Favorite Foods - apples, peppers (red or green), green beans, corn, sunflower seeds, peanuts

Temperament - he has the perfect temperment as far as I'm concerned. He's funny to watch when he's playing and being goofy and he loves his cuddle times with mommy while watching TV. And he's very much a one person bird. He screams at my husband whenever he see's him and won't come to anyone but me

Not sure if the picture is going to work. He's not fond of the camera and he was starting to puff up at the camera when I took this picture.

Jessie.PNG
Jessie.PNG (652 KiB) Viewed 11543 times
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby pchela » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:44 pm

It actually looks like you've got a Mesotypus or Orange Belly. The nominate is Senegalus which has no orange at all. The third, Versteri, which I've never seen is supposed to have a very deep orange/red belly.

pfinarffle wrote:Name Peewee

Gender Unknown - DNA sexed male

Sub Species (if known) probably the senagalus (yellow) - how can you be sure?

Current Age Unknown (probably around 10 years)

Age at which you acquired Since November 2009

Eye color (and age at which it changed) Yellow with thin orange ring around the pupil, not sure when it changed

Minimum, Maximum, and Typical Weight in Grams 144 min and 150 max (thus far), 145 grams avg

Favorite Foods Pistachios in shell (unsalted of course), Harrison's course pepper, flax seeds, oatmeal, eggs, anything humans around him are eating (but we're trying to discourage that), he won't touch sprouts, veggies and some fruits (but we're working on this)

Temperament Very clingy and can be extremely stubborn like a toddler! He/she's also great at training humans. Started out as a one-person parrot, but has since begun socializing. We're planning on taking him outdoors and on outings in general as the weather warms.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby pfinarffle » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:03 am

pchela wrote:It actually looks like you've got a Mesotypus or Orange Belly. The nominate is Senegalus which has no orange at all. The third, Versteri, which I've never seen is supposed to have a very deep orange/red belly.

Thanks! After I did my reading on it, I realized he probably is the orange version. From the photos I'm seeing, though, the nominate and red belly versions seem fairly rare?
pfinarffle
Conure

Postby pchela » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:07 am

pfinarffle wrote:
pchela wrote:It actually looks like you've got a Mesotypus or Orange Belly. The nominate is Senegalus which has no orange at all. The third, Versteri, which I've never seen is supposed to have a very deep orange/red belly.

Thanks! After I did my reading on it, I realized he probably is the orange version. From the photos I'm seeing, though, the nominate and red belly versions seem fairly rare?

I would guess that the red belly is rare... I can't even find a good picture of one online. I think the yellow ones are fairly common but I'd guess that they are being bred less in favor of the orange bellies because the orange bellies are prettier. I have seen a few yellows though.

EDIT- finally found a picture! Looks to be just a deeper orange to me. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... s%3Disch:1
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Chicklet » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:43 pm

Name: Rista
Gender (specify if DNA, known, or guessed): Not tested, but most likely female
Sub Species (if known): yellow vest?
Current Age: 3 1/2 yrs
Age at which you acquired: 2 1/2 yrs
Eye color (and age at which it changed): pale yellow
Minimum, Maximum, and Typical Weight in Grams: Not sure, she's currently afraid of the scale
Favorite Foods: broccoli, carrots, egg and birdie bread
Temperament: Loves men! She is stubborn and determined :p She will tolerate and occasionally enjoy my company when no one else is around but otherwise my boyfriend is her favorite. And when he's around everyone better watch out! :senegal:

..sorry guys I don't know how to make the pics smaller so you can see the whole thing in the window
Rista~Senegal
Briar~Sun Conure
Finn~Budgie
George~Budgie
Ralph~Budgie
Chicklet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal. Sun Conure. Budgies.

Postby pfinarffle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:50 am

pchela wrote:
pfinarffle wrote:

I would guess that the red belly is rare... I can't even find a good picture of one online. I think the yellow ones are fairly common but I'd guess that they are being bred less in favor of the orange bellies because the orange bellies are prettier. I have seen a few yellows though.

EDIT- finally found a picture! Looks to be just a deeper orange to me. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... s%3Disch:1

Great site! I can see vague vest color differences even amongst the birds here. Like, it looks like, from the photos anyway, Jessie, Martini and Rista are less orange than PeeWee. Although I can't read everything on that site, it would seem that the birds aren't necessarily classified on color so much as geographic locaations, which get lost when bred in captivity. So there'll be some overlap between the yellow and orange, and between the orange and "red." Probably hard to figure out what a bird truly is aside from noting that there's at least some orange in the vest.
pfinarffle
Conure

Postby pchela » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:23 am

[/quote]

Great site! I can see vague vest color differences even amongst the birds here. Like, it looks like, from the photos anyway, Jessie, Martini and Rista are less orange than PeeWee. Although I can't read everything on that site, it would seem that the birds aren't necessarily classified on color so much as geographic locaations, which get lost when bred in captivity. So there'll be some overlap between the yellow and orange, and between the orange and "red." Probably hard to figure out what a bird truly is aside from noting that there's at least some orange in the vest.[/quote]

I looked around that site a bit more and it looks really interesting. I wish I could translate it. Did you see the mutations page? Check this out. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... s%3Disch:1

Hmmm... the link didn't work. Well, if you go to the home page then click on fotos and then the top right category you should see some pretty amazing mutations.
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species