Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Starting point

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Starting point

Postby cheflavor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi Im new to birds but have always wanted one i have owned many animals over the years and still do but mostly fish reptiles and a cat but never any birds. i would love a great companion pet and am willing to work with it and train/tame it i do not want to clip its wings and am not going to jump into a investment/ a new member of my family before i fully think i am capable of all of its needs but i am looking to only spend at most 300 dollars on the bird itself i am looking for it to be a sociable breed with an aptitude for training and just a new best friend oh and id like it to like my family as well but i understand that birds bond with usually one handler i was originally thinking budgie or love bird but i would like some other peoples suggestions any would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for everything,
Lon Baines
STOP HSUS BEFORE THEY KILL THE TRADE!
The Humane Society Of the United states Is not who they say they are they are a radical animal rights group like peta who use there money to buy off politicians. Dont Give Them A Cent!
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
cheflavor
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Starting point

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:18 pm

You've already made your choice. Now you shouldn't have a bird.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby cheflavor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:22 pm

pardon im sorry? i do not understand what you are talking about do you not think i am capable of having such an animal or what i was looking for some insight so i can reasearch more and make a proper decision for me i am not going to take an animals life into my own hands just because i think that it looks pretty i am trying to educate myself and i did not think my question offends anyone. and i definitely did not think that i would get a snappy response.
The Humane Society Of the United states Is not who they say they are they are a radical animal rights group like peta who use there money to buy off politicians. Dont Give Them A Cent!
cheflavor
Parakeet

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:33 pm

You said you already have a cat. You made your choice. I have no objection to your choice. But I cannot recommend any parrot to you as it would merely become a chew toy for your cat. I have heard countless stories about parrots (particularly the small/cheap kind) getting killed by a cat or dog.

I love birds and care very much about them, so unfortunately in the interest of their safety, I cannot recommend for you to have one in a household with a carnivorous feline. I would like to commend you on doing your research and coming to a place like this forum to find out before buying. Now you are equipped to make a more reasonable/researched decision. Many people rush into buying a pet without any knowledge and then I hear about how they lost a bird to a cat or dog.

We've had some discussion about the dangers that cats/dogs pose to parrots here. People will say they try to keep them separate or only let them out together when they are watching. However, the risk is too great to be ignored. Most owners of cat/dogs and parrots will tell you that they would never leave them alone together. They know the danger exists. So please do the informed thing and do not add a bird to your household at this time and I will congratulate you on keeping the animal's safety foremost in your heart.

I didn't mean to sound harsh about it and I normally try to encourage people to get birds. However, in your situation, I would never expect you to get rid of the cat (absolutely not the solution) but quite simply I would say that you are now locked in that choice because cats and parrots are mutually exclusive. Wish you all the best though and you are welcome to read our forum.
Michael
Macaw

Postby cheflavor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:39 pm

Maybe i didnt explain my situation I am have moved out of my parents house hold and am now in college my mother bought me my cat for my 13th birthday and she has grown very fond of it i think at some times she loves it more than me.Lol. I am in college and cannot own a bird but i am looking into it because i think it will give me enough time to decide if i really am ready for one i understand the dangers of mixing species and im sure my bengal would love to eat a live animal he often watches out the window and makes noises to try to attract them to the window I would never think it is acceptable to have a cat and a bird together thanks for the response.
PS i did not mean any bird that is less expensive is expendable i hold all animals life with the highest regard they are first and foremost family members.
Last edited by cheflavor on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheflavor
Parakeet

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:44 pm

Ok. Yeah don't get a parrot until you are out of college, in a stable home, and without a cat. You don't want to have a parrot in a dorm or roommate situation. You cannot trust other people with a parrot. They could let it out, feed it the wrong thing, etc, etc. I've heard countless stories of people losing their birds as the result of other people. Someone told me that their cleaning lady just decided to free their african grey outside because she felt bad for it being in a cage. More remotely someone could start cooking with a teflon pan and that could kill the bird with the fumes. This is why it is important to have a place of your own with people you can trust.

Feel free to browse our forum and learn more about what parrot ownership is all about though.
Michael
Macaw

Postby cheflavor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:47 pm

i dont think you understand what i am asking i was just asking for information for a starting point for researching i have no intention to buying a bird for at least 3 years. as i said in my previous post a cannot own any pets. if i am breaking rules by asking a question for a starting point on research i am very sorry. I didnt know i had to live in a stable home to ask questions.
cheflavor
Parakeet

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Ok, well if only for informative purposes, here are a few articles we've written that are good common knowledge for any parrot owner:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=227

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=228

This one specifically discusses budgerigars:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=355

When you get closer to being in a position to buy a parrot, I recommend buying a book about the species you are considering prior to actually buying the bird so you know what to expect. Also go to a bird store and handle some from that species so you can see how they are and be able to decide if you can tolerate the noise level and bite.
Michael
Macaw

Postby cheflavor » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:05 am

Thank You So much Michael i will surely do this i am very sorry if we got off on the wrong claw. Any other suggestions will be appreciated
cheflavor
Parakeet

Return to Parrot Species