Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Please Help - Which Parrot and Course Should I Choose

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Please Help - Which Parrot and Course Should I Choose

Postby Lookie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:18 am

I'm up at 6am in the morning (or earlier). So the early morning calls shouldn't really be an issue (here the sun rises at around 6 am too). And in the evening I can most probably take her/him out to corniche almost everyday.

I would definitely prefer either a mini macaw or a goffin cockatoo [the goffin cockatoo is also on CITES appendix I](if I get one for less than US$1,000 - which is more than what US breeders sell them for - I suppose) over Poicephalus Parrots (just my personal opinion).

Whereas if I'm to go for Poicephalus Parrots - it would either a Sengal, Meyers or a Cape.

So please list one preference for a beginner -
a. Poicephalus Parrot
b. Mini Macaw (Illiger Macaw is out - since it's on CITES appendix I)

The species from the above two, that you think will be right for me.

Also can someone please confirm that Sengal, Meyers and Cape are either on CITES appendix II or CITES appendix III.
Last edited by Lookie on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lookie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 am

I dunno but Senegals are definitely far from endangered. They are considered a pest around where they naturally live.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Lookie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:24 am

You need a license here to own a bird on the CITES appendix. Not sure though whether it applies only to CITES appendix 1; or to remaining as well. Will have to visit either a great pet shop / breeder or the licensing body to find out.
Lookie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby sophisity » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:36 pm

The CITIES index of from May 2009 does not have the species Poicephalus listed. So, you don't need a license to own those. Personally, I am partial to the cape parrot because I had one in my house as I was growing up.
sophisity
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker parrot

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Poicephalus is the genus. There are several member species of the Poicephalus genus.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Michael wrote:I dunno but Senegals are definitely far from endangered. They are considered a pest around where they naturally live.

Also considered pests in many homes! :lol:
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Cozzy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:02 am

CITES appendix I (wild bird) is banned from trade, you maybe able to get one form the breeder but you would need a licence. However, all parrots beside a few smaller parrots such as :budgie: :lovebird:, are listed in the appendix II...
Therefore, before getting a bird, chek the list.... many :cockatoo: are on the appendix I list as well
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:15 pm

You might want to consider a Green-cheeked conure. I know they are "little birds" but I was originally more drawn to larger parrots, but our little guy is a pretty big bird in a small package. They can be "beaky" but are relatively quiet and some do talk. Scooter says "Pretty Bird" and I think he's trying to say some other things, but we can't figure them out. He is a cuddle bug thus far (but he has a lot of pinfeathers).
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Frederica » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:11 pm

Hallo Lookie,
honestly, if you have *only* two hour per day for the bird and you choose one of the bigger parrots, that can reach an age of 30 to 60 years, I would definitely consider taking a PAIR.

There are now several examples of pairs of parrots of all sizes that have been successfully tamed (see youtube).
2 hours time per day means that a bird which is "naturally used to" companionship around the clock, even slleping near the partner, has to cope with being alone for 10 waking hours or 22 hours of the day alltogether.
and for up to 60 years, too!

All of the species you named can become quite loud, as far as Iknow and Amazons can even besome quite aggressive during mating seasons.

Of the medium sized parrots I like the red fronted parakeets best, they are amusing, creative, not really sreamers but need a lot of space.
But this is just my personal preferance. ;)

Best wishes,
Frederica
Frederica
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies

Previous

Return to Parrot Species