Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Please Help - Which Parrot and Course Should I Choose

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Please Help - Which Parrot and Course Should I Choose

Postby Lookie » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:34 am

I'm in search of a parrot that can handle my lifestyle.
Thus, I need the help of experienced parrot owners/breeders to -

1. Help me select a bird that is right for me
2. Advise me on which course to view (i.e. certain parrot training dvds - I'm a visual learner) - i.e. I 've read that clicker training is great for training parrots.
3. Hopefully - I hope there's someone here who knows a good breeder or pet shop in Dubai, Abu Dhabi (preferably) or Sharjah; if not - if there's someone who can share their personal experience about importing birds into the UAE - that would be great.

Below is a summary of my needs -

Sex Preference - Female (since I've read that they are comparative less aggressive than males)

Age Preference - I would prefer a young weaned bird

Requirements -
- Not aggressive (easy to handle);
- Not too loud of a voice (the quieter the better);
- Minimum smell / odor (my family had 'wild' Indian red necks before - and these birds didn't smell (just mentioning this since I read something about Amazon males smelling, or about cockatoo 'dust'?;
- Basically I don't mind IF it doesn't talk - I would prefer a playful and cuddly bird with a calm nature that doesn't mind being handled.
- Weaned baby (i.e. few months old) - since I guess it will be harder to handle a older bird.

Options -
Macaw - Which Macaw species + sex is is the easiest to handle (in general)?

Amazon - I'm inclined towards Amazons, since I find them beautiful. And they're quite affordable here. But if I'm to get an older bird, will the bird get aggressive. But is there a certain breed of Amazon that isn't as aggressive or "hot" as others. Which Amazon species + sex is is the easiest to handle (in general)?

Grey - Considering, but will I be able to handle a Grey - I mean I read that "they have a mind of their own"?

Cockatoo - I know that they're screamers - but is there a certain breed of cockatoo that doesn't make as much noise as others. Which Cockatoo species + sex is is the easiest to handle (in general). I read that certain male cockatoos will kill their female partners that they are not compatible with (but this doesn't make a difference for me - as I looking to get only one bird).

Senegals - Truthfully I wasn't inclined towards Senegals - but after coming over to this forum, I'm keeping my options open. But are Senegals - aggressive and one person birds (in general, of course)?

Not Inclined Towards - I'm not inclined towards getting a smaller bird (as truthfully I like bigger birds and from what I know - bigger birds are smarter than the smaller breeds).

Time I can spend with the bird - At least 2 hours everyday

Location - Currently in the UAE

Willing to Spend - Less than US$500 hopefully, I was getting an Amazon for around US$175 here (contacted the UAE based pet store owner online, but I don't think that it is a tame bird - assuming it to a male Amazon that can't be handled). The prices of Macaws, cockatoos are exorbitant here (to give you an idea) -
African Grey US$1000+
scarlet macaw US$4,500+
blue macaw US$2,000+

Skill Level - I would consider myself a beginner. Since I've only had caged 'untamed' Indian red neck parrot, 'untamed' budgies and 'untamed' cockatiels when I was a kid. And the only birds that I've handled (clipped their feathers - till they knew where their 'home' was; and hand fed are pigeons) - but i guess that is completely different than hand feeding parrots.

Thanks in advance and apologies if I haven't phrased my words correctly - just desperately seeking experienced help to start.
Lookie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Please Help - Which Parrot and Course Should I Choose

Postby Natacha » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:13 am

If I take into considerations the following requirements you've written:

Lookie wrote:Requirements -
- Not aggressive (easy to handle);
- Not too loud of a voice (the quieter the better);
- Minimum smell / odor (my family had 'wild' Indian red necks before - and these birds didn't smell (just mentioning this since I read something about Amazon males smelling, or about cockatoo 'dust'?;
- Basically I don't mind IF it doesn't talk - I would prefer a playful and cuddly bird with a calm nature that doesn't mind being handled.
- Weaned baby (i.e. few months old) - since I guess it will be harder to handle a older bird.

and the following options:

Macaw - Which Macaw species + sex is is the easiest to handle (in general)?

Macaws aren't quiet. Even if they don't constantly scream, their voice is quite loud, which would come against requirement #2.

Amazon - I'm inclined towards Amazons, since I find them beautiful. And they're quite affordable here. But if I'm to get an older bird, will the bird get aggressive. But is there a certain breed of Amazon that isn't as aggressive or "hot" as others. Which Amazon species + sex is is the easiest to handle (in general)?

Ah amazons...again, another species (parrots are referred to as species, not breeds by the way) which is known to be loud and almost every amazon I've met has loved to vocalize. I think there are some amazons known to be more unpredictable/aggressive than others, I believe the blue-fronted amazon as well as the yellow headed and double yellow headed amazons but don't quote me on that.

Grey - Considering, but will I be able to handle a Grey - I mean I read that "they have a mind of their own"?

It depends on how you interact with it. I know people who are able to manipulate they grey without any issues. But I wouldn't call them as playful as others; they do like to play, but I don't think they are as overly exuberant as other species.

Cockatoo - I know that they're screamers - but is there a certain breed of cockatoo that doesn't make as much noise as others. Which Cockatoo species + sex is is the easiest to handle (in general). I read that certain male cockatoos will kill their female partners that they are not compatible with (but this doesn't make a difference for me - as I looking to get only one bird)

Cockatoos are noisy and loud; I've never met one cockatoo who hasn't enjoyed a little screaming fit; however, it is normal for them to do so and trust me, a truly happy cockatoo will vocalize. With that said, they don't scream all day, but they have their moments and shouldn't be repressed into not doing so. They can also get aggressive when hormones are flying high so if you want to avoid an aggressive bird, don't get a cockatoo. They are cute and cuddly as babies, can be during their adult life when hormones aren't hitting hard.

Senegals - Truthfully I wasn't inclined towards Senegals - but after coming over to this forum, I'm keeping my options open. But are Senegals - aggressive and one person birds (in general, of course)?

I don't believe all Senegals will become aggressive/one person birds. They have the potential, but with proper socializing early on it can be averted. I might sound bias towards Sennies, since I'm much more positive with them than I was with any of the other species you mentioned but quite frankly, based on the requirements you set up, I don't think any of the bigger birds are for you.

Oh and I don't believe birds really have a "smell". Some smell more when they are wet, but you have to be close by. I doubt they generally have any strong odour that will bother people.

Not Inclined Towards - I'm not inclined towards getting a smaller bird (as truthfully I like bigger birds and from what I know - bigger birds are smarter than the smaller breeds).

Bigger birds are not necessary smarter than smaller birds; intelligence is not related to size with birds. People have this idea, but I've known people who can do as much with their smaller bird than others can do with their bigger birds. I think it depends more on how you use the potential of your bird, big or small.

Time I can spend with the bird - At least 2 hours everyday

Two hours a day is rather limited for the bigger birds.
I know you said "at least", but I believe that some birds need more one-on-one time with people whilst others can do better with less time and a lot of stimulation with toys. Personally, I wouldn't own a cockatoo or a grey if all I could offer was 2 to 3 hours a day.

Willing to Spend - Less than US$500 hopefully, I was getting an Amazon for around US$175 here (contacted the UAE based pet store owner online, but I don't think that it is a tame bird - assuming it to a male Amazon that can't be handled). The prices of Macaws, cockatoos are exorbitant here (to give you an idea) -
African Grey US$1000+
scarlet macaw US$4,500+
blue macaw US$2,000+

Sorry to burst your bubble, but bigger birds tend to have a bigger price tag attached to them. Honestly, an African Grey will go for $1000+ here as well, and macaws are also a couple thousands. For some reason, you can get amazons for not much over there, but they are quite expensive here.

If you aren't willing to spend more than $500, I would reconsider getting a parrot; have you thought of purchasing a nice big cage, a lot of toys and whatever vet fees might be associated with the parrot? Parrots are expensive pets overall.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Cozzy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:39 am

with $500 USD I think you should get :senegal: , :budgie: , :lovebird: or :cockatiel: .
Also, as Natacha suggest, the larger the brid the more it cost in most cases.
Also, you should also consider the cost of the cages and vet. I would say parrot is an expensive pet to start off, but it is cheap too keep in a long run. Also, the life span of parrot are very long

Also, depends on your bird keeping experience, larger bird can be quite hard for a beginner to handle. I don't recommand any beginner to get a bird larger than an :amazon: .
:macaw: is a brid for experience bird keeper.

Also, the job of bird keeping doesn't related to the size of the bird, even :budgie: provide alot of joy.

In regard to the :senegal: , I have a male :senegal: , he is an everyone bird, he loves to play with everyone. The key for :senegal: trainning is get him interactive with alot of ppl in their ealier age.
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape

Postby MandyG » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:08 am

I have to agree with everything Natacha and Cozzy posted.

I just wanted to add that if you're concerned about prices you should read this thread about the cost of owning a parrot.

Based on your requirements it sounds like an Amazon is definitely not for you. I have a male Yellow Crowned Amazon and when he's mad he's loud, when he's happy he's loud, when he's excited he's loud. It's an Amazon thing. They have a big voice and they love to use it! I've heard that Amazons (females included) can develop a musky odor. I haven't experienced this and I've read that this musky odor can be caused/controlled by diet. Also they can be very aggressive. Even the sweetest Amazons can turn into monsters that can't be handled when they are hormonal.

Amazons tend to NOT be cuddly. They can be very loving and interactive, but they tend to be more of a 'hands off' type of bird. Like all birds though, every one is an individual.

As for cockatoo 'dust' I believe that all parrots create a certain amount of dust. I may be wrong, but I've never heard of somebody owning a parrot that doesn't create 'dust'. Although most parrots create much less than a cockatoo.

I don't have a lot of experience with the smaller parrots, but based on the requirements you have listed I'm not sure that a parrot is the right pet for you. Again I may be wrong and there may be a parrot that fits everything you're looking for, but that's just IMO based on my personal experience with parrots.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:48 am

From what you said (and assuming that your behavioral preferences supersede your species preferences), a Poicephalus Parrot is perfect for you and none of the others. A Senegal or Meyers parrot would probably hit the spot. Then again, with a $500 budget I doubt you could get anything more than a parrotlet, budgie, or some form of parakeet. As Mandy pointed out about the cost of parrot ownership, you can at least double the cost of the parrot to realize the real cost. $500 Senegal requires a $250 cage. A $1000 African Grey requires a $500 cage. $2000 Macaw, $1000 cage. You see how it works. And this is only for the minimum sized cage for that species. If you want to get a roomy cage you will spend much more. Then there are all the toys, supplies, and food. Bigger parrots eat more, chew more toys, and basically all of their expenses are bigger.

Senegal Parrots are big bird smarts/personality in a little parrot body (which makes them cheaper to own and cheaper to maintain). However, you will really have to consider your finances and long term financial commitment prior to choosing a parrot. You have to decide if you will choose by species and then allocate whatever funds necessary to maintain the bird. Or do you have a spending cap and must choose a parrot that fits your budget.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Some ideas for you based on my experience with different parrots. First, all birds have a smell and it's almost always sweet and pleasant. Amazons especially have a very sweet kind of musky smell. They actually smell really good. Macaws have a fainter smell to them... Cockatoos don't actually have much of a smell but they do produce a lot of powder and many people end up allergic to them. African Greys also produce a lot of powder and smell slightly sweet. BTW- a sweet, good smell is a sign of a good diet and healthy bird.

Okay. Have you considered the smaller of the big birds? For instance, the Goffins Cockatoo is the smallest cockatoo but has all of the sweet, cuddly playfulness of the larger cockatoos. They can be loud of course but simply due to their size they can not reach the volume of the larger birds. Their are also mini macaws. There is a Severe Macaw, a Hahns Macaw, a Noble Macaw, Illigers Macaw and there may be a few other mini macaws. Again, same personality as the big guys but quieter and easier to handle. The Hahns Macaw is known to be a good talker as well. There are also conures which are smaller birds with loud voices for their size but quite playful and interactive. Some are good talkers like the Blue Crown Conure. Conure means "little macaw" and they have a playful, macaw like attitude.

Something to consider especially for a cockatoo. Two hours a day is not enough interaction for any bird but cockatoos especially are really needy for attention and will not do well alone for most of the day. A neglected Cockatoo is usually a screaming cockatoo. Remember that parrots are social, flock animals and keeping them alone in a cage for long amounts of time is simply torture. It can actually cause parrots to become psychotic.

There is one type of parrot that can be kept in pairs while still maintaining a bond with humans. That is the Caique Parrot. They are really cool little birds, highly intelligent and highly active. They need a larger cage than most parrots their size due to their activity level. They could keep each other company while you weren't there. I don't know if you'd be able to find them but I think they'd be worth a look.

Also, research the type of bird you decide on for differences in sex. Some species have a more dominant female and some a more dominant male. In my experience, males tend to be a bit more social than the females of most species, but again, each bird is an individual.

The small birds can be just as if not more intelligent than some of the big birds. It all depends on the individual bird, so I wouldn't let that affect your choice. I will say that the following birds are NOT beginner birds - Amazons and African Greys and the large Macaws. All can be tempermental and difficult to handle for somebody who doesn't have plenty of bird experience.

Hope this helps!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Kathleen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:32 am

I would recommend one of the poicephalus parrots. These parrots cost about that price, but you will need more money to pay for the supplies. You can get a female poicephalus parrot. They are relatively quiet birds who may learn a few words or sounds, they are playful and they are easy to handle. Meyer's parrots are considered the sweetest and shy compared to other poicephalus parrots. That could be a match for you.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Lookie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:49 am

Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate it.

Well, I've had budgies before and in my previous country - they were (probably still are) being sold for US$2 a pair (I'm serious). And you can get a Macaw (weaned baby) for $800+ in the US from a breeder - so I guess it pretty cheap for a Macaw. And the cage, food and toys too should be pretty cheap here (compared to USA) or I can get a 2nd hand cage. But anyway back to my requirements...

I'll be getting my parrot in/after March - so I guess I'll have the time to actually visit the pet shops/stores/markets physically - since I've realized that the prices are cheaper on the ground, when the store owner doesn't use the internet..

I would definitely be considering -
- Poicephalus Parrots (Senegal, Meyers, Red Bellied, Niam Niam, Yellow Fronted, Ruppells, Jardine, Cape, Brown Headed)
- Caiques
- Conure
- Mini Macaws: Hahn's Macaw, Illiger's Macaw, Severe Macaw, Yellow-collared Macaw
- Goffin cockatoo

I will obviously need to research all the above parrot species in detail. But it would be great if you guys could give me your own opinion preferably from the above (i.e. the specific species preferably).

I'm currently strongly preferring a Hans/Noble Macaw.... but like I said my options are open. And even so I would like to always have a choice "B" if the first one doesn't work out (i.e. the bird isn't available, gov. restricted etc.).

Btw, I'm not interested in - Parrotlets, Lovebirds, Cockatiels, Parakeets/budgies.
Lookie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby Cozzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:26 am

In my local club, we have almost every brid you mentioned, and we meet up at least every 3 months,therefore, I think I can give you some information
-Poicephalus Parrots (Senegal, Meyers, Red Bellied, Niam Niam, Yellow Fronted, Ruppells, Jardine, Cape, Brown Headed)
Poicephalus Parrots are all similar, Senegal, Meyers and Jardine is more common than other,
Cape, Niam Niam and Ruppells are rare.
- Caiques
One of the smartest smaller parrot, it can be loud when screamming.
- Conure
colorful, and it is lound, a bit harder to train then poicephalus and caiques.
- Mini Macaws: Hahn's Macaw, Illiger's Macaw, Severe Macaw, Yellow-collared Macaw
All Macws are really lound, and the smaller macaws tends to use their voice more than the larger one. Hahn's Macaw is the smallest, but it like to scream all day long, I would recommand a Severe or Yellow Macaw if you want a macaw
- Goffin cockatoo
It CITE APP I, therefore, you may not be able to get it. You may consider other cokatoo, BUT ALL COKATOO ARE REALLY REALLY LOUND BIRD.
PIONUS
is good choice as well, however, they tends to be a bit shy
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape

Postby pchela » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:30 pm

Of the birds you want I have hand raised Caiques, Hahns Macaws, Goffins Cockatoos and Conures. I own a Senegal, Meyers, Red Belly and Caique so if you have any specific questions on any of those feel free to ask me. Also, keep in mind that you can generalize to a point with different species, but in the end each bird is individual. For instance, cockatoos are known to be loud but I've known two that I raised that were pretty quiet.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Next

Return to Parrot Species