Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

cockatiel-black beaks

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

cockatiel-black beaks

Postby Pola » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:31 pm

i observed that some cockatiels have black beaks, but some have light coloured beaks. I am not sure why this happens, is it to do with age or is it normal that they vary ????

does anyone know anything about this???

:cockatiel:
Pola :D
Pola
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple/cinnamon green cheeked conure- Tuppi
Flight: Yes

Re: cockatiel-black beaks

Postby bmsweb » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:15 am

I have no idea Pola. I know our Cockatiel had more black on his beak when we first got him (12 weeks old), but now it's only towards the tip. Its kind of funny because it looks like the tip is broken off and it isn't :) Then again Jazz is a very funny bird . . he really cracks me up. I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm his mom ;)

We were looking at some in a bird shop and some have very light beaks and some black! Its interesting.

Cheers
Paul
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Re: cockatiel-black beaks

Postby Kim S » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:58 am

If I may respond to this one. I breed cockatiels for a while now, and the beak (as wel as the leg colouring) is mutation related. The regular grey and whitefaced cockatiels have dark beaks and legs. Te inos (lutino/albino) have lighter beaks and legs.
You can see this especially well in pied cockatiels. Their beaks are usually pied as wel ;)

This colouring comes in handy when breeding special mutations like the whitefaced dominant silver. They look very much like a dirty albino thats been rolling around in the sand. But their beaks and legs are dark, unlike the real albino (which are lighter).
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Return to Parrot Species