Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

wanting to buy a conure

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

wanting to buy a conure

Postby Pola » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:47 am

i am thinking about buying a conure.

Can have some information about how do they act at home, and when buying what do i have to watch out for and is there any difference in character between the different colour mutations????

:)
Pola :D
Pola
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple/cinnamon green cheeked conure- Tuppi
Flight: Yes

Re: wanting to buy a conure

Postby Suzzique » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:18 am

I can only give you what I've seen watching my oldest daughters green cheeks. She has 3 one is really no longer tame and was like that when they got him. Meeko who is the standard green cheek is a total chicken and wont go to anyone except my daughter and her partner. Thier newest is a pineapple green cheek. She is a hand full! Wow talk about night and day between her and Meeko. Baily is scared of nothing and no one. She will go to anyone and is Queen as far as she is concerned. She even bullys my grey Alex who is normally the bully. He runs from her. I really don't think that the difference between the 2 has anything to do with the color mutation. Just thier different personalitys. Both are sweet and funny. They can be nippy when going threw puberty but it doesn't last.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:53 pm

You might want to get a book about conures. There are several genuses of conures including Aratinga, Nandayus, Cyanolysais and Pyrrhura. Pyrrhura contains the Green Cheeks and the Maroon Bellies and their subspecies. Aratinga contains everyone else including Suns and Jendays and Nandays.... there are significant differences between the Pyrrhura and the other major groups and each species has its own average characteristics, at least according to what I've read.

Our Green Cheek is smart, affectionate, as bold as brass and seems to be an all-around excellent bird. FWIW. And not that I'm biased or anything. ;)

Edited as I REALLY messed up the taxonomy first time around. Someone should have beaten me with a large stick!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Bumping to make my mea culpa visible.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Lisa » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Pola wrote:i am thinking about buying a conure.

Can have some information about how do they act at home, and when buying what do i have to watch out for and is there any difference in character between the different colour mutations????

:)

Hello:

my husband and I bought a jenday conure from bird paradise in burlington NJ, we have not taken him home yet as he is still hand feeding, they are the biggest place to go, and they are very helpful, I have spoken to some other people who come and visit their birds and we met people who travel over 1 hour to see and get a bird from bird paradise. check it out.

Lisa
Lisa
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: jenday conure

Postby OshiYoshi » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:53 pm

My Jenday is super affectionate. He absolutely loves to be cuddled and kissed. He loves his toys. One of my favorite things about him is that he will find a comfy spot on my belly or hand (depending on how I'm cuddling him) and he will get on his back and cuddle with his feet up. He is such a dang sweetheart.

Also, he has never been around toddlers before he came to me (he's over a year old) and he is fine with them petting him.
Yoshi, quaker parakeet
OshiYoshi
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot

Return to Parrot Species