Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sengal Parrot Yellow Tail Coloring

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Sengal Parrot Yellow Tail Coloring

Postby MandyG » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:43 am

Wow Kathleen, that's really interesting!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby pfinarffle » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:10 pm

Looks like PeeWee is also a male (DNA tested)! This is consistent with the theory that if your bird has yellow tail feathers it's a boy. :)
pfinarffle
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby pchela » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:43 am

It's a boy! Congratulations! I assume you just found out?

Pippin will not let me touch his tail so I cannot spread the feathers out to where the yellow feather can be seen, let alone get a photo. I'll keep trying though. Now I'm curious if any others on here have males with a bit of yellow in their tails.

Edit- Just found this site. http://www.wingscc.com/aps/apsmail/senegal_sexing.aspx Looks like when they talk about the males having yellow tail feathers they are talking bout the feathers under the main tail feathers. Have you heard that the yellow can also occur in the main tail feathers in males?
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby pfinarffle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:55 am

Yes, I'd seen that site before, and PeeWee's undertail feathers are all yellow save for some green streaking away from his legs. But I'd never heard that :senegal: s sometimes had yellow on their actual tail feathers let alone on the tops of said tail feathers as seen in the photo I took recently. The yellow feather almost looks like that "pied" Sennie photo someone else recently posted a topic about, except the pied coloration is strictly limited to the tail. Anyway, it's always just one feather, the rightmost one. And yes, we just found out he's a HeWee yesterday. ;) So yes, if anyone else sees yellow on their birds tail feathers (not undertail feathers), I'd love to hear it as I think it's possibly a male :senegal: thing.
pfinarffle
Conure

Postby SirHubi » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:52 am

My Cookie has a orange feather on tail like PeeWee, however it was not DNA sexed. Cookie has a flat head, but a long V on its chest. Cookie's flat head would suggest it is a boy, but long V would suggest it is a girl. Yellow feather on tail looks like a male thing from what you found out so far, but I'm not sure. We need more evidence to establish that a yellow feather is a male thing. :)
:senegal: - Cookie
SirHubi
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Poicephalus (Senegal Parrot)

Postby pfinarffle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:45 pm

SirHubi wrote:My Cookie has a orange feather on tail like PeeWee, however it was not DNA sexed. Cookie has a flat head, but a long V on its chest. Cookie's flat head would suggest it is a boy, but long V would suggest it is a girl. Yellow feather on tail looks like a male thing from what you found out so far, but I'm not sure. We need more evidence to establish that a yellow feather is a male thing. :)

PeeWee also has a flat head and a longer V than I think most males should have. I've heard of two other :senegal: s with yellow tail feathers, and thus far they're both boys. Interestingly enough, the feathers tend not to be permanent. The one story of a yellow tail feather I heard about from another online group is a yellow tail feather that cropped up after a bird was re-homed, which is in essence what happened with our bird. Perhaps it's not just a male thing, but a male stress-reaction thing?
pfinarffle
Conure

Postby MissLady9902 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:59 am

Noodle has a partially yellow feather but it's underneath one of her tail feathers and she's a DNA sexed female.

Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:41 am

It looks like the yellow tail spots are like a sort of birth mark. Like a bit of an impurity that lets the yellow show through the green maybe?
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pfinarffle » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:01 am

Michael wrote:It looks like the yellow tail spots are like a sort of birth mark. Like a bit of an impurity that lets the yellow show through the green maybe?

The feathers do almost look just like that "pied" Senegal variation we saw posted here a bit ago.

One person told me that they'd noticed yellow growing in where previous green feathers had been damaged before, like from an accidental pulling out, injury or even purposeful plucking. But even in these instances it's only temporary... I also wonder if it doesn't have to do with mating season somehow since I guess we're getting there with the spring.
pfinarffle
Conure

Postby pchela » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:57 pm

The theory that the different color comes in after a feather has been damaged is a good one. My Meyers who plucks her tail and back feathers used to have a brilliant blue color on her rump. Those feathers now come in yellow with a blue one popping up now and then though the blue is the greenish blue that matches her chest and not the brilliant blue that she used to have on her backside. I don't know why that would be but it does fit with the theory.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Previous

Return to Parrot Species