Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What kind of Parrot is this?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: What kind of Parrot is this?

Postby Pip Logan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:55 pm

The birds tallons looked trimed not super long but I felt they looked groomed. My daughter and I wear playing in the back yard when he just flew down and landed on top of my pigeon loft, at the time I just figured he was a wild parrot looking for free pigeon food ( I have never had that happen before) I did not give him and becouse I didnt want to turn my back yard into a wild parrot hang out :) so he just sat up there looking at us and cocking his head, well it got dark we went in. The next day same thing after work we were plaing in the yard and he flys right up to my feet so I was like what the heck stuck out my finger and up he hoped and from there he crawled up to my shoulder like we were old friends. So I was like oh wow he must be an escaped pet. I asked around my neiborhood as I know some O my neibors have birds but they wernt missing any. He stayed the night in a parrot cage i got on CL a while back in the house got him some parrot food water he drank like a horse! The next day I open the cage he flys to the fride and around the house the sits on his cage. So thats been how we do it now we come home from work and he is wating on top O his cage and then we play and he sits on my shoulder while my kid and I play indoors. Was that more info then you wanted LOL Did that help any? I still am posting to CL and watching the missing pets, BTW he is not chiped.
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Homing Pigeons
Flight: Yes

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:24 pm

Here is the link to the exact code for CA
I kind of sounds like you might be able to get a permit.
Code
Doesn't hurt to call and ask.

Here's the contact page if you want to try it out!
Contact

Let us know what they say!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby kimbo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:25 am

hope you get to keep him, he sounds lovely. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 am

I really hope you get to keep him. You hear of birds choosing their owners in stores and at a breeder's but having a flighted parrot out on his own outside choose you is completely different! You should feel honored :) .
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:56 am

While the bird may have chosen you, I don't think that would float so well with the govt. I think trying to get a permit would just expose you and create problems keeping the bird. You don't have proof of purchase, health certificates, breeder, etc, etc that the authorities will probably ask for. You'd probably risk losing the parrot by going to the state and I doubt they would improve its life or find the original owner. So by all means, if the original owner cannot be restored and you feel bonded to the bird, you are probably the best person to care for it.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Suzzique » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:51 am

I wouldn't try getting the permit. The only worry would be the vet but sense she is a friend of yours she is not going to turn you or the bird in.

The over the border from Mexico is a very good posibility. The only thing that sperates San Diego from TJ is a fence other wise it's more like one big city. Flighted birds can travel up to 50 miles a day it would not take that little guy more than a couple of days assuming he only flies a shorter 10 to 15 miles in one day, to get from TJ to where you are.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby pchela » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:11 pm

Just say "Hola... que pasa?" to him and see if he responds. Then we'll know if he's Mexican or American! :mrgreen: Seriously, Quakers are known to be good talkers... if he's from a family he probably has some words. It usually takes talking birds a few weeks at least before they get comfortable and start talking to you.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Pip Logan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:36 am

LOL ok I will speek spanish and see what he says! Mike - That is exactly what I was thinking! Im glad to here some one else say it. I got a lead from a friend who says a couple is missing there bird so I called them but there wear missing there gray :(
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Homing Pigeons

Previous

Return to Parrot Species