Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What kind of Parrot is this?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: What kind of Parrot is this?

Postby Pip Logan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Yes I will keep him if I cant find an owner. I have been wanting a parrot but just couldent come up with the 800 bucks for one. I am very exited.
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Homing Pigeons
Flight: Yes

Postby MandyG » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:01 pm

I hope it works out for you :) . Just please do whatever you can to try to find the owner before you get too attached, I'd be devistated if I lost my parrot.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Pip Logan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:36 pm

I will! I once lost a dog and only got it back becouse of the kindness of strangers. Its been about two weeks now.
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Pip Logan wrote:Yes I will keep him if I cant find an owner. I have been wanting a parrot but just couldent come up with the 800 bucks for one. I am very exited.

Please bare in mind that if you could not afford to buy a similar parrot to begin with, then it is quite possible that you will not be able to afford the cost of upkeep. You can refer to our discussion about the cost of parrot ownership to see the many many things that are costly beyond just the cost of the parrot itself. Receiving a free parrot doesn't save you much money in the long run if you look at the long term costs over the price of the original bird.

As much as I can imagine it tempting to keep the bird, I really hope you make the fullest effort to return it to the original owner before resorting to that. I know that if my bird was lost I would really hope to get her back and would do the same for anyone if I found their bird. Most likely I'd feel obligated and stuck to keeping the bird if the owner could not be located than to have the thrill of a free pet.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:09 am

Well, the bird and the cage is the biggest up front cost. You can get a good sized cage for a Quaker for around $250. Then it's just a carrier $20-30, toys ranging in price, food $5-15, and a vet visit. So I'd say that it would only cost around $500 to get him/her set up instead of $900 for the bird plus $500 in necessities.
If he has an owner I hope they find him.
Otherwise good luck!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Pip Logan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:05 am

Thank you missLady for your positive feed back! I have been searching for this little guys family but it has been discouraging. As far as start up yes 250 to 300 is a lot easier than 1000! Most people can understand that. Mike I in no way feel obligated to care for this bird, I feel honored that out of everywhere he could go he landed by me. He is a great little bird with an awesome personality and my family and I still haven’t given up on him or in finding his family. He goes to the vet today after work for his test so hopefully they can find out who he is from that!
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Postby MandyG » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:21 am

What ways have you tried to find the owner? If I lost my bird I would call local radio stations to get the message out (I'm in a small community so this would be effective for me, may not be for you), call local vets, call local rescues or parrot clubs, post on local classifieds, put posters up in pet stores or in other places in the neighborhood. You could do the same but be posting about finding the bird. I'm not sure how large of a city you live in, so you may have to expand beyond your immediate local pet stores and vets to get the word out. Birds can travel a large distance in a short amount of time.

I do hope it works out for you and you get to keep the bird, I just can't help thinking about some poor owner that's madly searching for their beloved pet.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:47 am

No problem Pip! :blinking:
Don't be offended by Michael, he feels strongly that people should know and understand that being owned by a parrot is nothing like owning any other pet.
He's just looking out for the birds and owners best interests. It's not good for either party to get into a bad situation.
I value all of the information he gives even if I don't agree with everything he does!
You have got to let us know how the vet visit went and the progress of finding the possible owners!
Like Mandy said, if I lost one of my guys I'd be knocking on everyone's doors and paying for commercials and all kinds of stuff!
There's always the possibility that the owner didn't care for the bird and just let it go. (jerks if that's true)
Good luck!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Pip Logan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 am

Thanks cathy! You read my mind :) I live in a BIG city. I did the CL thing and just got wierdos and Im not certain the parrot is even legal to sell so no pet stores even carry this kind of bird. I havent given up yet in finding his owners though! Thanks for the advise everyone has given so far it truly has been helpfull.
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Postby Suzzique » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:27 pm

Depending on what state you live in you are right that he may not even be legal to have. Quakers are concidered pests because they are soooo adaptable compared to most other parrots. It is posible that someone let him go.

We recived our first larger than a tiel parrot this way. A friend of my youngest daughters mom had a Maximillion Pionus and was tired of it so was going to let it go outside. The bird couldn't even fly she had been letting the kids (none over the age of 10 at the time) clip it's wings. I told her no way and offered to take the bird. Bella turned out to be wonderful and sweet dispit how horible she had been treated at her old home. Unfortunitly she passed away a few years ago do to a lung infection that we didn't catch until it was to late.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species