Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What kind of Parrot is this?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: What kind of Parrot is this?

Postby Pip Logan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:31 pm

Oh how sad. Im sorry that happend but I am glad she was happy for a while though. I live in California so Im not sure if its "legal" or not. Is it leagal to buy them and sell them? Meaning this guy found me. and is obviously tame, Im not going to breed it or sell it so is it wrong for me to have it?
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Homing Pigeons
Flight: Yes

Postby Suzzique » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm in CA as well. The way I understand the law you can't own them breed them sell them nothing. Though it doesn't sound like they are inforcing it to well. The reson for this is that Quakers are extreamly adaptable and breed like rabbits. You can imagion the damage a flock of these cute little guys could do to a crop. Though Sacramento is doing a good job of killing off crops all on thier own. Turning off water to almond trees because it might endanger some mino kind of fish. :p Sorry not trying to get polictical just comenting on the stupidity.

Are you in southern or northern CA? I know that there is a rescue in San Diego as well as one in San Fransico. There might be one in LA but not sure.

I hope things work out for you. :)

Thanks we miss Bella. She did have a happy life with us we let her flights grow out and she learned to fly. She ate with us and she had all the freedom and companionship she wanted.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby Pip Logan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:15 pm

Im in San Diego. . . . . . . I realy like this little guy so smart and funny. Hmmm I will have to think about turning him over to a rescue, what will they do with him that I cannot?
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Postby Suzzique » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:19 pm

Oops sorry what I ment was that you could let them know you found him incase the owner had also contated them. Not that you would need to turn him over to them. :mrgreen:

I am also in San Diego. There are 3 major bird stores here. Bird Crazy, Our Feathered Friends and Bridland. There are other stores that sell a few birds but these are the major stores. While I really like Bird Crazy the best I do get tired of hearing I should clip Martini's wings every time I take him in to have them do his nails. I know of 3 avain vets but there might be more.

If you don't find the owner sounds like he picked the right person to land on. :)
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby Pip Logan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks! i will let you guys know how it ends up!
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:06 pm

Suzzique wrote:Though Sacramento is doing a good job of killing off crops all on thier own. Turning off water to almond trees because it might endanger some mino kind of fish.

This is OT, but I googled background after driving past all those "Congress Created Dust Bowl" signs, and that's not really how the story goes... it's way more complicated and the poor little fish has little to do with it.

To get back on track, good luck, Pip! Let us know what happens.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby pchela » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:40 pm

Here is a list of the states where Quakers are illegal. http://www.quakerville.com/qic/statelaw.asp

As for costs of owning a parrot, the upfront cost is the big one. Upkeep is really not that bad especially if you learn how to make your own toys etc. A lot of their food is going to be food you can eat as well. You could probably find a good used cage on CL for much cheaper than new. Just take it to a car wash and really clean it and spray it with bleach to disinfect it. Good as new!

If you end up keeping the little guy and need any advice on what to buy for him to get him all set up, just ask! We're all ready to help you out. May I ask what you are feeding him while you have him?

Yikes! In Pennsylvania they will euthanize them. Poor guys. They really don't deserve the rep they have.
Last edited by pchela on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby pchela » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Oops.... sorry. Got ahead of myself and didn't read the other posts. So, you are in a state where it is illegal to have a Quaker. Will the vets turn you in? Will they confiscate him? If this is the case, I hope you just keep him. Who knows what will happen if he ends up in a rescue, especially since he's not legal. They wouldn't be able to rehome him would they? If they little guy is tame and friendly, it would be a shame to see him languish away in a cage in a rescue facility.

Also, since he is illegal, I wonder if the original owners might not fess up to having lost him?

It's also possible he's from Mexico... how far is it? If he's flighted, they can get pretty far. Does he seem underweight at all? (protruding breast bone)
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Pip Logan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:16 pm

He was not over weight at all real healthy looking, I thought that the original owner s may be afried to step up since he is an ilegle, as for the mexico thing it could be a possibility I supose its about 30 miles to the border. . . . . . I have a vet that is a friend so that wont be an issue :) Its kinda a mystry to me. CL has a TON of missing birds but not my guy. . . . I wonder wear he came from.
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:22 pm

When you found the bird, did it have any signs of grooming? Any cut feathers or cut/short talons? If so, the bird is definitely a lost pet. If not, then it could go either way. Could you tell us more about how you found it?
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species