Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Favorite type of parrot?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

What is your favorite type of parrot?

Amazons
6%
Cockatoos
5%
Conures
14%
Lories
3%
Lovebirds
9%
Macaws
3%
Parakeets
12%
Parotlets
5%
Poicephalus
23%
Other
20%

Total votes : 65

Favorite type of parrot?

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:41 pm

I am curious if folks have a preference for a specific type of parrot (category, genus, other grouping) or if they like a bit of variety. I definitely know some people have a preference for a specific kind but am wondering how it is for others.

Personally I cannot imagine owning any kind of parrot other than African Parrots. I like all the African Parrots but have a special affinity for Poicephalus parrots. I have a Senegal Parrot and am getting a Cape. I definitely see myself as a liker of a certain kind of parrot not so much for the looks but more the temperament. Looks-wise I think some of the Conures and Macaws are fantastic. However, considering the fact I have to actually live with it, I definitely like the easy going and quiet nature of Poicephalus parrots.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Favorite type of parrot?

Postby Lonnie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:16 pm

The only parrot we have now is the Senegal, and actually I had never heard of them until we saw them in a local pet store, but my wife and I almost had an instant bond with him, and knew he was coming home with us...Someday I want an African Grey, which I know is a whole new ball game so we'll see...LOL
Lonnie
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Parakeets
Flight: No

Postby Suzzique » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:26 pm

No fair you didn't include greys!

I also like the african birds better. While a grey doesn't have the coloring of even the senegals they are just so incredible.

I've also had a Maximillion Piouns. These guys are so easy going and sweet. Very quit compared to most other parrots. They are a south American parrot.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:16 pm

I wanted to include Greys but they are more like one kind of parrot than a group/type of parrot. Feel free to vote other and mention that you picked greys. More broadly they fit in the Old World or African Parrots but I thought splitting into Poicephalus and Lovebirds would be more specific. Some of these parrots are just hard to classify to a group while others are really easy.

Just because you like your individual parrot does not necessarily imply you have to pick a favorite type. However, if you consistently find yourself leaning to a certain group of parrots, that is what this thread is all about.
Michael
Macaw

Postby MissLady9902 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:03 pm

I like the Amazons quite a bit but I think they're too much bird for me.
It is fun to get them wound up and excited. My favorites are yellow napes and double yellow headed.
Don't get me wrong I love my africans but Amazons are just so beautiful and active!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Natacha » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:07 pm

I'm all about the African parrots.

I have a lovebird, 4 Poicephalus with a fifth possibly on the way (Red-bellied eggs hatched, just waiting to know if there is a female in the clutch or not), I do also want a Cape Parrot one day and I might be getting a Timneh African Grey when I have a house.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Natacha, would you care to explain more what it is about African Parrots (and perhaps poicephalus) that they stand out to you and that you choose them over other types?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Natacha » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:50 pm

It's hard to explain - I think I just have always felt a stronger connection to African Parrots than anything else.

I've been introduced to Quakers; I've met quite a few and all but one bit me and most of them I didn't even try to touch (aka they jumped on me and bit). They can be cute, but I don't particularly like the sounds they make.

Conures....met a fair number of Conures of all kinds and they are too noisy and boisterous and nippy for my taste.

Amazons - No real connection with them either.

Caiques and Lories - I love playing with them for small amounts of time but could not own one..too active for me.

Macaws - Never really been drawn to them.

Cockatiels - I find them a tad boring.

Cockatoos - They tend to be too needy for me. I get along great with one of my mom's 'toos, but this one particular bird acts more like an African Grey and actually tries to be "friends" with her Greys more than the other 'toos.

I don't know..I think the African Parrots have a tendency to be a bit calmer and independent, which is more what I'm looking for since it's more fitting to my character. I've heard so many people have issues with their Senegals yet my relationship with Shade is great and to me, came almost effortless, as if what I did with her was a second nature. I seem to understand these birds more so than other species; it's hard to explain how exactly, it's just something I feel. Lovebirds can tend to be a bit more active than the other African birds but I have to say I love how they are feisty and stubborn(which I can see in other African birds as well). Also, contrary to what I've experienced with Conures, I've never really found myself on the end of a nip that I didn't know was coming with Lovebirds (I've met some very nippy Conures that had a blast nipping for the sake of it..).

I think the only other parrot I would consider than an African parrot, other than that one cockatoo my mom has, is possibly a Pionus...since they are also calm birds. But from what I've read/heard, they are possibly a bit too laid back for me..
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Suzzique » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:36 pm

Natacha I can only say from the pionus that I had they are extreamly layed back. They are also very quite. Bella did chirp and whistle some. I can't say what a baby would be like sense Bella was almost 2 when we got her.

Bella came to us as almost more of a rescue than a rehome. She had not been treated well in her first home. The lady was just going to put her outside and let her fend for herself. She had a sever clip and would never have servived. She was the sweetest bird and never bit once in the whole time we had her.

A pionus would be a great starter bird for anyone because they are so easy. Pictures never do them justus. They all have iridesent feathers and are so much prettier in person than a picture can ever show. Of all the south American birds the pionus is the only one that I would concider getting again if I had the room for more birds.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby PRD » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:46 am

I have this thing for south american parrots. As a young kid i used to see macaws, amazones and conures migrate and flying in their own habitat. Quite some members of my family/friends used to own amazones, conures and macaws.
Which of them is my favorite i dont really know, but it would be either a macaw/mini macaw or a (brown throat) conure. I love the long tail that macaws/conures have. I also like the fact that they are noisy/loud. It wouldnt be fun if my sun conure would scream all day. But when i come home from work....boy oh boy, all 3 birds start to scream like mad! Makes me forget all about my (bad) day at work.
My wish is to own a macaw or a mini macaw, but if i would get a macaw now i would definately get in trouble with my neighbours.
Flock off!!
PRD
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure
Brown throat conure
Sun conure

Next

Return to Parrot Species