Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sennie and Smaller parrots

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Sennie and Smaller parrots

Postby skthurley » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:07 am

My husband and I currently have a parrotlet and a green cheek conure. Monday we will be getting a Senegal.

Do any of you have a smaller parrot and Senegal? What kind of precautions do you have in place to keep the little one safe?

My one friend is very concerned that Jack, our parrotlet, might get hurt. I spoke with another Senegal and parrotlet owner, and he said that he keeps his little guy flighted so he can easily escape his sennie. He has had his birds for over a year and had no issues. Of course I know to keep the parrotlet off the sennie's cage and watch them closely.Beyond this any suggestions?
Shandi's Fids
Jack the Ripper ---> Pacific Parrotlet
Kiwi ----> Greencheek Conure
Scooter ---> Senegal
skthurley
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Green Cheek Conure and Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Sennie and Smaller parrots

Postby Michael » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:11 pm

Quarantine, slow introduction at a distance, slow and positive introduction closer together. Considering that the Senegal Parrot is younger it may just learn to live with the smaller birds. I had a problem when introducing a Budgerigar to an established Senegal. Once you have an aggressive bird, I think you can only add bigger but not smaller.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: Sennie and Smaller parrots

Postby PRD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:59 am

I wouldnt be surprised to see the green cheeck chasing after the sennie :D I had to take precautions for the larger bird.
You could introduce them on neutral ground, so they wont consider it as a new bird breaking in their territory and to see how they react. The birds u have now may consider the sennie as an intruder on their territory,
I changed the lay out of their territory like the place of their cage, their perches/toys, climbingtree. If possible u could also change the layout of the area where they live. They will be more occupied with their new environment and all these new things then the new bird.
By doing these things i could distract my green cheeck conure enough from his search and destroy mission, and after a while hostility made place for curiousity. Its essential that the birds can fly away if attacked, and constant monitoring of their behaviour in the beginning.
Flock off!!
PRD
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure
Brown throat conure
Sun conure

Return to Parrot Species