Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Lesser Sulfur 2

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: New Lesser Sulfur 2

Postby Chantilly » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:26 am

:lol: Yes! I can very well imaging that, getting him sandboard(?) and them being refused because they are positioned wrong :lol: Picky little guys!
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:42 am

Pajarita wrote:Yes, he now has a number of whole feathers which he did not before (he even has a sort of a very short tail now :lol: ), if the feather was still there, it was either barbered all the way down or completely chewed up and half hanging from his body because he did not allow his pins to actually grow enough for the feather to come out, he would chew them when they were completely closed and beginning to come out of his body - terrible! Now the trick is to make him continue to improve... We are going to Home Depot on Friday to buy more wood for him to chew because he is running out of the ones he likes - they have to be 2 or 3x1, they can't be thicker or he doesn't like them and they can't be short or hanging or anything but standing up on their edge on the floor next to the wall, if you put a couple of said boards in this position and in his two favorite corners of the room, he spends hours chewing them. But they have to be exactly what he wants, in the position he likes and the corners he prefers or he ignores them... they can be real 'particular' sometimes, can't they? :lol:

Linus looks great! I have to ask for photos of Buddy, the badly plucked Goffins we had who has been adopted. You also reminded me that I have to pick up another 2x3 to make a perch for Cherrio. Cherrio is a U2 and spends all his time destroying perches. I can make a new one for $3, and he seems to like it best. I like the wood they can actually destroy. I think it's better, especially for the pluckers.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:57 am

Thank you, John, but, in all honesty, he doesn't look 'great' :lol: Compared to what he looked like, he does look better but he still looks like crap, the poor thing! (I bathed him today and he looked so very pitiful with his few feathers!) What it is hopeful is that this is the very first time that I actually see a bit of an improvement and, in my mind, it's not his looks at all but the fact that, if he is letting a few feathers grow it must mean he feels a bit better about his life. He is still chewing his primary pinnies (I saw a number of them chewed all the way down to the bloody beginning of them when he opened his wings for the bath) but there are a number of secondaries and two primaries that are whole and that has never happened before.

And yes, those perches are great, aren't they? Freddy loves them and he also chews on them for hours but his very favorite pastime is to hide inside his box (an empty cat litter plastic bucket) and chew the 'floor' of it (thick cardboard folded three times). Linus, on the other hand, doesn't touch his perches or goes into boxes (at least, not yet( but loves chewing on the boards leaning on the walls. Like I said: particular doesn't begin to describe their preferences! :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:09 pm

Am I the only one that uses a feather duster for pluckers??? Try it , it really works. I get an all natural ostrich feather duster and it hasn't failed me yet with the new plucking rescues. Hang it where they can easily reach it at night from there roosting perch and you might be surprised or maybe even shocked at the big results in a short time you get. BW.
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:49 am

We have tried the feather duster thing at the rescue with a plucking CAG. She does preen abs barber the feather duster, but she's still plucking.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:32 am

The thing with pluckers that not only pluck the 'mature' feathers but also the pins (which are much more painful) is that, after a while, it's not only the habit that has set in (for which the feather duster would work) but also the addiction to the release of endorphins that happens when pain occurs. These birds are, for one reason or another, depressed and the sudden release of endorphins from the pain they cause themselves acts as an opiate on their system and gives them a feeling of wellbeing - and that's why it's SOOOO very hard to get them to quit and why the right kind of light is SOOOOO important.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Parrot Species