Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Are macaws clowns?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Are macaws clowns?

Postby JessiMuse » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Actually, if you watch a lot of that cockatoo's videos, you will know that Gotcha (the cockatoo in question) normally makes those vocalizations and runs around, even when he knows where his owner is. Even in the video itself, you see him running up to her, then running off again. In my opinion, I think it's just an energetic cockatoo making loud noises for fun, since that is something they do: Make tons of noise.
JessiMuse
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch
Flight: Yes

Postby Chantilly » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:53 pm

JessiMuse wrote:Actually, if you watch a lot of that cockatoo's videos, you will know that Gotcha (the cockatoo in question) normally makes those vocalizations and runs around, even when he knows where his owner is. Even in the video itself, you see him running up to her, then running off again. In my opinion, I think it's just an energetic cockatoo making loud noises for fun, since that is something they do: Make tons of noise.

I must agree with you here :thumbsup: Gotcha is a very funny birdie.. a little atention seeker :P :lol:
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:41 pm

JessiMuse wrote:Actually, if you watch a lot of that cockatoo's videos, you will know that Gotcha (the cockatoo in question) normally makes those vocalizations and runs around, even when he knows where his owner is. Even in the video itself, you see him running up to her, then running off again. In my opinion, I think it's just an energetic cockatoo making loud noises for fun, since that is something they do: Make tons of noise.

I did look at several and, the way I saw it, in almost every instance he was running somewhere, he was actually looking for somebody (like on the one when he goes upstairs to the bathroom door asks for Nana). There was only one where he took off running and you couldn't tell if he was going for somebody or not because the video ended there. But, in the original video, the owner was hiding and he did not find her. But he is a delightful bird, no doubt about it! Cockatoos, at least the ones that have always been treated right and with a lot of interaction, are the most 'clownish' - although I call them 'hams' and not 'clowns'... my Freddie is like that, he loves people and to show off.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby JessiMuse » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:13 pm

Hams. :lol:

I guess I was looking at it, under the assumption that the human was right behind the camera in plain sight, and since he ran up to the camera and ran off, I thought that he saw the human there. I left a comment asking about that, so we'll see when/if she answers.

Gotcha in particular is an intriguing cockatoo. The gibberish seems to form words that are surprisingly relevant to the situation. For example, the video where they're in the kitchen, and he runs off at the end:
Owner: "I love you"
Gotcha: "Love's boring!"

It does seem that all members of the cacatuidae family have a certain kind of goofiness about them. I even see some big-bird behaviors in my tiels. They definitely have big personalities, for little birds, :lol:
JessiMuse
Conure

Postby JessiMuse » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:37 pm

My apologies for the double post, but Gotcha's owner already responded. Here's what she said about the video:

I was sitting right in the stairway to the right of the camera. He could see me everytime he came towards the camera lol.
He was just having a good time

I guess no one knows their bird better than the owner, huh?
JessiMuse
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:37 am

Well, I wouldn't bet on that. Not all owners know their birds, some of them interpret their behaviors way too anthropomorphically. But it's obvious this bird is well socialized and loved. And, yes, he does speak in context. On another video, he climbed the stairs, walked down a corridor and went straight to the bathroom where, obviously, his 'nana' was and he after he tried to look under the door to see inside, he kept on saying "I need to use the bathroom" "I need to get in there" in an older woman's voice so he KNEW his nana was in there and what she usually says to get in it :lol: They are amazingly smart, cockatoos are! Once, Freddie broke the screen on one of the birdroom's windows and got outside while I was running an errand and, when I come back, I find a paper on my door from the animal control officer that said "Your bird is in my office" signed Teddy (I know the guy and he knows I rescue birds so when the neighbors reported a large white bird walking around, he knew it was mine). So I go to City Hall to pick him up and I see all these people standing in the corridor at the door to his office, talking and laughing. He didn't have a cage so he had put him in a cat carrier and he was yelling: "UNLOCK THE DOOR!" "YOU FORGOT TO UNLOCK THE DOOR!" :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby JessiMuse » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:40 pm

:lol: I love that video. My favorite part was when he said "I'll get loud", especially since he's a Moluccan cockatoo, which happens to be one of the loudest species out there,

But according to the description, the bathroom is one of his favorite rooms, so whenever someone is using it, he just gets bothered, because he's unable to go into "his" bathroom,
I saw a picture once on a Facebook page for parrots. It said: "what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine, and if I ever figure out that doornob, I'll add the neighbor's stuff to what's mine". I can definitely say, it's pretty accurate. :lol:

Parrots have a surprisingly good grasp on context. I once saw a video of an Indian ringneck named "Bowie", and his owner showed him a little "angry bird" toy. Bowie asked: "what's that?", and the owner said: "it's an angry bird", to which Bowie responded with "what's wrong?"

Lucy has shown to understand context through her actions, since she's not much of a talker. I once woke up not feeling well, and Lucy just wouldn't stop screaming since I got her out of the cage that morning (it's usually the other way around). It was back when I she would usually share breakfast with me, her eating pellets while I ate cereal. She was standing on the table screaming, and I said: "have a pellet. It'll help with my headache". So what does she do? She takes a pellet out of her bowl, and walks over to me, intending on dropping it in either my cereal or my tea. :lol:
JessiMuse
Conure

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:10 pm

currently held scientific research suggests that parrots have the mental levels of up to a 5 or 6 year old human child. I personally believe that is too low, but that is just me. A five or six year old child may not know all of our words but they do understand far more than we usually give them credit for and they normally understand the context of what we do say, so this is not too surprising about our birds. I think that what surprises us the most about this is that they look so different than us and don't always speak clearly that we don't really expect it from them on a daily basis. That is just speculation of course.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:36 am

I actually think that the world is surprised by all animals intelligence! People used to think that animals were like little machines that lived but had no brains, that they didn't feel pain, fear or any of the emotions they attributed to humans only. Because only humans had been made in God's image and had soul -and all these attributes were thought to be a part of this "God's image" deal and animals had been put on this earth to 'serve us' without even going to heaven when they died.

Things have changed, of course. But you can't change certain things you learned when you were a child so we are now in a transition period where the newer generations are more aware of the 'human-like' traits of animals, including their intelligence (which helps a lot with the 'empathy' situation) but we are still dragging our feet about giving them the right to be cared for properly because the decisions are mostly in the hands of people of my generation.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby pukeko » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:01 am

I rather agree with Pajarita re. the general surprise and apathetic reactions towards ideas of animal intelligence and emotional analogues. What on earth could be so very different about our evolution that we would be the only one to follow routes which have such deeply seated biological benefits? Emptions and the various types of intelligence serve so many purposes that it makes no sense that we would be the only animals who would exhibit these characteristics, nor the only ones who feel as deeply connected to our emotions and responses. The usefulness of these responses in shaping our behaviors has quite literally everything to do with how deeply and intimately we are affected by them. 'Emotion analogues', or however you have to get around being blatently and unconstructively humanising (or the 'a' word which has slipped my mind), deserve respect.

Regarding macaws, I know one who really likes to be danced around with big movements, and prefers his high fives to have an explosion at the end :D
pukeko
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: green cheeked conure

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species